[ASC-list] Free SYDNEY science event Sceptics wine cheese Ears and Astronomy

Kreuiter, Allan AllanK at PHM.GOV.AU
Wed Aug 13 00:20:45 UTC 2008

	Upcoming events

	Big Science Night

	Free from 530-930 at the Powerhouse Museum Ultimo Sydney

	Join us for a three-ring circus of science - serious science,
sceptical science and comedy-science.

	Hostess for the night is Green Guru - Bernie Hobbs from ABC's
New Inventors. Guest speaker Michael Shermer from the US Skeptics
Society will be talking to Dr Paul Willis from ABC's Catalyst program.

	As Founder and Executive Director of the Skeptics Society, Dr
Shermer has dedicated his life to debunking myths, superstitions and
urban legends and explaining why we believe them. He is the driving
force behind Skeptic magazine, he writes a monthly columnist for
Scientific America, and is a TV host, radio commentator and prolific
author.

	Dr Shermer is excited about introducing Australians to the world
of skepticism. "A question I am often asked is, what does the Skeptics
Society do?" Dr Shermer says. "In a nutshell, we investigate claims of
the paranormal, fringe groups and claims, cults and religions; the
difference between science and pseudoscience, voodoo science,
pathological science, junk science, bad science, non-science and plain
old nonsense.

	"Over the years, I've exposed fallacies behind a number of
popular beliefs such as 9/11 conspiracy theories, the low-carb diet
craze, fire walking, spoon bending and alien sightings. There is already
very strong interest around the topic of skepticism in Australia, and I
hope to meet with some of the local skeptics groups there as well as
inspire more people to question some of the popular myths we are
encouraged to believe."

	Other great guests for the night include: Chief Scientist at
Cochlear, Dr Jim Patrick, who will be speaking about bionics, Simon
Pampena - the Stand-up Mathematician with The Maths Olympics show, the
beloved astronomer Dr Fred Watson, a live jazz trio and wine tasting.
What more could you ask for?

	What: Major event
	When: 22-Aug, 5.30-9.30pm
	Where: Powerhouse Museum
	Tickets: Free, no bookings required

This email and attachments are for the use of the intended recipient(s) only and may contain confidential or legally privileged information or material that is copyright of Powerhouse Museum or a third party. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. Any views expressed in this message and attachments are those of the individual sender and the Powerhouse Museum accepts no liability for the content of this message. Whilst every care has been taken, the Powerhouse Museum cannot guarantee that the integrity of this email has been maintained nor that the email is free of errors or viruses. The Powerhouse Museum advises all organisations and individuals to undertake their own virus scanning and security measures.