[ASC-list] definition of science

Michael David Moylan mmoylan at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Dec 8 07:28:44 UTC 2008

Hi ASCers

Does anyone have a good definition of science?

I'm helping to write a response to the National Science Curriculum
Framing paper
(http://www.ncb.org.au/our_work/preparing_for_2009.html)

They define science as "a way of answering questions about the natural
world" (paragraph 12, page 5), and I am very uncomfortable about that
definition.

The majority of the research chemists I work with do not investigate the
natural world. Some make and study artificial molecules to cure
well-understood diseases. Others investigate nanometer-sized objects
that don't form naturally. They might be manipulating the natural world
or trying to improve the the natural world but they are not answering
questions about the natural world.

I would also like to have an adjective between "a" and "way". Something
like "a useful way", or even "a systematic way"...

I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

Mick.

Mick Moylan
Chemistry Outreach Fellow
Victorian Institute for Chemical Sciences
School of Chemistry
University of Melbourne, VIC, 3010
Australia
p +61 (0)3 83446465 f +61 (0)3 93475180
e mmoylan at unimelb.edu.au

To get the latest news on VICS Outreach or RACI(Vic) Education events,
sign up for our newsletter.
Send a plain text email to mailserv at unimelb.edu.au with subscribe
chemistry-connections in the email body.