[ASC-list] Opportunity to comment: CPRS

Charles Willock charlesw at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Mon Dec 15 06:11:28 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I'm just trying to work out the affliations/dynamics in the
matter of the Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme issue.

Margaret Lawson wrote:
ML> We are lucky that two organisations have kindly sponsored the
ML> development of this project to foster debate and
ML> discussion.  They are ERM Power - Australia's leading gas-fired
ML> power company - and QUT's Faculty of Built Environment and
ML> Engineering (BEE). The post-announcement debate will be started
ML> by ERM Executive Chairman Trevor St Baker and QUT BEE assistant
ML> dean (research) Professor John Bell.

Under "Expert News" on the Expert Guide web page:
http://www.expertguide.com.au/

http://www.expertguide.com.au/news/Article.aspx?ID=862
    "CPRS offers no real incentive - generator"
    "Monday, 15 December 2008"
    "Source: ERM Power"

    Quoting extensively from Executive Chairman of ERM Power, Trevor
    St Baker.

    (and)
    ... for more information contact Malcolm Cole (Cole Lawson
    Communications) on ...

http://www.colelawson.com.au/OurPeople/MalcolmCole/tabid/62/Default.aspx

   "Malcolm Cole, Director"
   "Former senior journalist and political adviser Malcolm Cole
    is an experienced and trusted voice in Australian politics,
    international relations and the media.  As the Senior Media
    Adviser to Australia's Foreign Affairs Minister, Malcolm
    managed critical and complex national and global media issues."

http://www.colelawson.com.au/OurPeople/MargaretLawson/tabid/63/Default.aspx

    "Margaret Lawson, Director"
    "She has led teams responsible for complex communication
    projects including acquisitions and mergers, and played a
    key role in the $1.2 billion sale of Ergon Energy Retail
    in 2007. Prior to the sale, Margaret was responsible for
    managing Ergon Energy's retail media and communication
    activities. This involved designing and implementing national
    communication strategies to help deliver goals in the
    business's strategic plan."

The Built Environment and Engineering of QUT list Shell as a
current partner.

   http://www.bee.qut.edu.au/about/partners/current/

Such an affliation might well be a delicate one given the
history of Shell on environmental issues in the Niger Delta -
and the death of Ken Saro-Wiwa in 1995.  On the plus side
there was the public change of heart by Shell on issues of
greenhouse gas emissions - and brief diversification.
However, there was also the issue of Shell overstating its
oil reserves, and the (2008) Athabasca Tar Sands issue
leading to allegations of "greenwash".

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Dutch_Shell#Diversification
   http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=1348#gwaward

To avoid suggestions of influence, my guess is that independent
individuals would moderate such forums but, since that was not
identified, perhaps someone might like to explain how such
things work.

Many Thanks,
Charlesw