[ASC-list] TV science producers coming to Melbourne next year

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Dec 18 04:44:32 UTC 2008

Dear ASC colleagues,

I'm pleased to announce that the World Congress of Science and Factual
Producers is coming to Melbourne next November/December.

This is the congress for everyone who makes, buys and broadcasts science
and factual television. ASC founding member Alison Leigh is its program
director, Daryl Karp is a board member and Sonya Pemberton was until
recently a member of the congress steering committee. The congress was
held in Sydney in 2000.

We thought it was a natural complement to the World Congress of Science
Journalists. For the last year or so Sarah and I have been working
behind the scenes to encourage the Congress board to bring it to
Melbourne and Australia.

ABC Television will be the host broadcaster and the Victorian Government
is a major sponsor with Film Victoria playing a lead role.

The campaign to bring the Congress to Melbourne was assisted by
Melbourne Convention and Visitors Bureau and the Melbourne Convention
and Exhibition Centre. If you know of an international conference you'd
like to bring to Australia, talk to them.

ASC will not have a formal role in the Congress - it is owned by the
Congress Board and is managed by Hot Docs, a Toronto-based Film
Festival.

But there will be opportunities for ASC members to be involved and I'm
hoping there will be a range of associated public events.

There will be a host of film producers keen to learn more about
Australian ideas, issues and locations. We (Science in Public) will be
assisting Hot Docs with sponsorship and public engagement.

We'll announce the sponsorship packages in February, but I'm
anticipating a similar range of opportunities to those offered for the
journalists' congress.

Here's some background to the Congress and its most recent incarnation
in Florence two weeks ago.

With over 600 delegates from 25 countries in attendance, the 2008 World
Congress of Science and Factual Producers, which closed last week in
Florence, Italy, was a resounding success. This year's Congress was
particularly enriched by a strong presence from the host country: close
to 100 Italian delegates attended, including representatives from RAI,
Mediaset, Fox Channels Italy and numerous independent producers from
across the country.

The three day event featured blockbuster panels, such at the BATTLE OF
THE BRANDS with Steve Burns (Executive Vice President, Content, National
Geographic) and John Ford (President and General Manager, Discovery
Channel), the always informative opening plenary WHAT'S THE BUZZ?, and
CLEVER PLEASURE: IN CONVERSATION WITH JANICE HADLOW (Controller, BBC
Two). Additionally, hundreds of one-on-one Speed Dating meetings were
arranged between independent producers and broadcasters and robust Meet
the Network and Meet the CE/Funders strands facilitated over 40 intimate
sessions with key decision makers.

The better than 2-to-1 producer-to-broadcaster ratio allowed for
invaluable networking to take place both during the day and at the
fantastic social events in the evenings. Delegates were treated to a
private concert at the landmark Palazzo Vecchio during the opening
reception, and a private tour of the Vasari Corridor overlooking the
Ponte Vecchio on the closing night. Receptions and dinners at stunning
palazzos - as well as a rousing evening of karaoke - helped make a
memorable Congress for all.

For more information please visit www.wcsfp.com

Kind regards,

Niall

_______________

Niall Byrne

Science in Public has moved to

26 Railway Street South, Altona Vic 3018

Please delete all other addresses (including the PO Box) from your
records.

Our phone number is unchanged.

ph +61 (3) 9398 1416 or 0417 131 977

niall at scienceinpublic.com.au <mailto:niall at scienceinpublic.com.au>