[ASC-list] July Scope newsletter

Jan Thomas jan.thomas at amsi.org.au
Mon Jul 7 02:53:56 UTC 2008

I would expect the "Science in the News" section to treat mathematics
somewhat more seriously than to highlight the Guardian story
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jun/06/maths.alevels

But hey guys, would only 50% of BSc students at U of Melb doing any
mathematics or statistics, and teachers of mathematics a dying breed,
give Australia a few more years and we should be teaching  only
science purged of mathematics and statistics. What a clever country
we are!

Jan
--
Jan Thomas
Executive Officer Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute

Past Vice-President, Federation of Australian Scientific and
Technological Societies

61-3-8344 1774 (office)	    041 900 6205 (mobile)
61-3-9349-4106 (Fax)

Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute
111 Barry Street
C/- The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010
AUSTRALIA

Find out about the Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute at
www.amsi.org.au