[ASC-list] free public forum - Biodiversity: essential for our future Tues 1 July (ACT)

Joanna.Savill at csiro.au Joanna.Savill at csiro.au
Fri Jun 27 01:55:57 UTC 2008

CSIRO Discovery invites you to a free public forum

Biodiversity: essential for our future

Tuesday 1 July 5pm for 5.15pm

Panel members:

Dr Donald Hobern (CSIRO, Head of the Living Atlas project)
Dr Ken Aplin (CSIRO, Wildlife biologist)
Dr Wendy Proctor (CSIRO Land and Water, Economist & project member of
the United Nation's 'International Payments for Ecosystems Services'
project)

Sustainable management of our ecosystems and the rich life within them
remains one of the key natural resource management challenges.

It is vital we maintain and sustain our biodiversity for a number of
reasons:
    * biodiversity provides us with many natural products including
       food, medicines and timber
    * ecosystems underpin many of our natural resources and provide
      services such as clean water, healthy soil and pollination of
crops
    * many people find enjoyment from the range of leisure activities
      undertaken in the natural environment.
Yet, plant and animal species are being lost from landscapes where their
habitats are being cleared, fragmented and simplified.

What role does science play in preventing loss of our biodiversity? What
strategies are in place to advise our land managers, and what research
needs to be undertaken? Is it possible to restore biodiversity in
Australia's degraded landscapes?

Facilitator: Cris Kennedy (CSIRO Science and Community)

Tuesday 1 July 2008 at 5.00 pm for 5.15 pm

CSIRO Discovery Centre, Clunies Ross Street, Black Mountain

This is a FREE event. Refreshments provided.
RSVP    T: 6246 4646  E: cris.kennedy at csiro.au
<mailto:cris.kennedy at csiro.au>

Jo Savill
Communication Officer
CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems
Gungahlin Homestead, Bellenden St, Crace, ACT
GPO Box 284, Canberra, ACT, 2601
Ph: 02 6242 1651  Mob: 0438 229 417  Web: www.csiro.au/cse