[ASC-list] 2nd African Science Communication Conference

Marina Hurley info at writingclearscience.com.au
Tue Nov 4 02:20:21 UTC 2008

SAASTA will be hosting its 2nd African Science Communication Conference
between 18 - 21 February, bringing together individuals across the various
sectors in realising Science Communication's role in driving economic growth
and long term sustainable development. As Africans, we need to define our
destiny and change our mindset with respect to science, engineering and
technology, as well as research. For the success of our continent and its
people, it is imperative that significant investment in the popularisation
and public understanding of Science and Technology development is made. It
was this realisation that lead to the development of Africa 's Science and
Technology Consolidated Plan of Action (August 2005).

The specific objectives of this consolidated plan are to strengthen the
African flagship research and development clusters. These include:

   - Biodiversity, Biotechnology and Indigenous Knowledge
   - Materials Sciences, Manufacturing, Laser and Post Harvest Technologies
   - Information, Communication and Space Science Technologies
   - Improving Policy Conditions and Building Innovation Mechanisms
   - Implementation, Funding and Governance
   - Energy, Water and Desertification.

 Key objectives

   - Build African scientific and technological capacity by increasing the
   number of scientists, technicians and engineers
   - Ensure that regional economic communities mainstream science and
   technology for socio-economic development and competitiveness
   - Promote innovative ways and means of financing science and technology
   in Africa
   - Support the development and harmonisation of science and technology
   policies on the continent
   - Promote Research and Development to achieve specific Millennium
   Development Goals.

Registration details

Please go to:
http://www.saasta.ac.za/2ndascc/pdf/ascc_first_announcement.pdf
Contact Details

Please contact Ms Maphefo Chauke, Project Officer SAASTA email:
maphefo.chauke at saasta.ac.za or telephone: +27 12 392 9300

--
Dr Marina Hurley
Lecturer & Consultant
marinahurley at gmail.com
info at writingclearscience.com.au
www.writingclearscience.com.au
PLEASE NOTE: This message and any attachments may contain legally privileged
and confidential information and/or copyright material intended only for the
use of the addressee(s) named above.