[ASC-list] National: Presidential nominations due today - ASC AGM - call for nominations, agenda items and notices of motion

Meg.Rive at csiro.au Meg.Rive at csiro.au
Wed Nov 12 01:18:57 UTC 2008

Hi, all

A reminder that the ASC national Annual General Meeting will be held next Thursday in Melbourne (see details below). And please email any nominations for national ASC President and suggestions of items for discussion (including notices of motion) by COB today.

Please let me know if you are planning to attend the AGM, so we can cater accordingly (as there will be free drinks and nibbles for ASC members attending the AGM).

Many thanks

Meg

---
Hi, all

As previously advised, ASC's national Annual General Meeting will be held on Thursday 20 November at 5.45pm (for 6pm) at the Redback Hotel, 75 Flemington Rd, North Melbourne. This is a terrific opportunity for members to help shape the priorities and progress of our organisation, and to catch up with other members. There will be drinks and nibbles for ASC members who attend the meeting.

If you wish to add an item for discussion at the AGM (including a notice of motion) or to nominate yourself or someone else for the role of ASC President, please email these to me (meg.rive at csiro.au) by COB 12 November. Please include your ASC member number (if you know it). Note that notices of motion require a proposer and a seconder) and nominations for President need to be agreed by the nominee.

I will circulate the agenda to the ASC-list and call for proxies a week before the AGM.

The AGM will be followed by an ASC Victoria event: Science Communication + Men's Health (details below).

I look forward to seeing many of you at the Redback on the 20th.

Cheers

Meg

Meg Rive | Communication Manager | Wealth from Oceans Flagship | P +61 3 9545 8301 (Mon-Tue) | P +61 3 9239 4433 (Wed-Fri) | F +61 3 9239 4444 | M +61 438 007 301 | www.csiro.au/wfo | Private Bag 1, Aspendale VIC 3195 Australia

---
Science Communication and Men's Health

Thursday 20 November 6.45pm for 7pm start
Upstairs at the Redback Brewery Hotel, 75 Flemington Road, North Melbourne
Cost: ASC Members free; Non-members: $10, Non-member students: $5
Drinks and meals at bar prices

Speakers:
Luke Slattery - Founder and Executive Director, Movember Foundation
Cassy Bezeruk - Public Relations and Communications Manager, Andrology Australia
Dr Peter Stanton - Head of Basic Science Team, Male Reproductive Research Group, Prince Henry's Institute

Australian men can expect to live 76 years, compared with women's life expectancy of 81. One aspect is clearly men's "she'll be right" attitude. Men are less likely than women to visit their GP and when something is wrong take longer than women to seek medical attention. How can we better communicate about the science of men's health issues?

A stunning Australian success story has been Movember and in 2007 thousands of 'mo bros' and 'mo sisters' raised AUD$21 million for awareness raising and medical research programs focused on men's health issues.

There is national interest in the development of a men's health strategy which would include education programs to communicate important science based messages. What do we already know about best practice in such education initiatives?

Whilst there are now several national health and screening programs specifically for women there is nothing yet along similar lines for the blokes. Where is current medical research in understanding men's health issues?

No booking required. Further information about this event: ian at imthinking.com.au

---