[ASC-list] National: ASC AGM - agenda and call for proxies

Meg.Rive at csiro.au Meg.Rive at csiro.au
Thu Nov 13 05:56:13 UTC 2008

Hi, all

Please find below details and agenda for next Thursday's national ASC Annual General Meeting. I look forward to seeing many of you there as we set our course for 2009 and enjoy a drink.

If you are unable to make it to the Redback yourself, please send your proxy to me (meg.rive at csiro.au) or someone else who will be attending the meeting, before 5.45pm (AEDST) on 20 November.

Cheers

Meg

---
DATE: Thursday 20 November 2008
TIME: 5.45pm arrival, meeting from 6-6.45pm
VENUE: Redback Hotel, 75 Flemington Rd, North Melbourne

AGENDA:
- Confirmation of members attending, apologies
- Minutes of 2007 AGM
- President's report
- Treasurer's report
        - presentation of statement of accounts
        - determination of annual membership fee
        - determination of capitation to be returned to branches
        - determination of honoraria
        - appointment of auditor
        - tabling of 2009 budget
- Election of 2009 ASC President
- Any other business

FOLLOWED BY:
Science Communication and Men's Health

6.45pm for 7pm start
Upstairs at the Redback Brewery Hotel, 75 Flemington Road, North Melbourne
Cost: ASC Members free; Non-members: $10, Non-member students: $5
Drinks and meals at bar prices

Speakers:
Luke Slattery - Founder and Executive Director, Movember Foundation
Cassy Bezeruk - Public Relations and Communications Manager, Andrology Australia
Dr Peter Stanton - Head of Basic Science Team, Male Reproductive Research Group, Prince Henry's Institute

Australian men can expect to live 76 years, compared with women's life expectancy of 81. One aspect is clearly men's "she'll be right" attitude. Men are less likely than women to visit their GP and when something is wrong take longer than women to seek medical attention. How can we better communicate about the science of men's health issues?

A stunning Australian success story has been Movember and in 2007 thousands of 'mo bros' and 'mo sisters' raised AUD$21 million for awareness raising and medical research programs focused on men's health issues.

There is national interest in the development of a men's health strategy which would include education programs to communicate important science based messages. What do we already know about best practice in such education initiatives?

Whilst there are now several national health and screening programs specifically for women there is nothing yet along similar lines for the blokes. Where is current medical research in understanding men's health issues?

No booking required. Further information about this event: ian at imthinking.com.au

---

Meg Rive | Communication Manager | Wealth from Oceans Flagship | P +61 3 9545 8301 (Mon-Tue) | P +61 3 9239 4433 (Wed-Fri) | F +61 3 9239 4444 | M +61 438 007 301 | www.csiro.au/wfo | Private Bag 1, Aspendale VIC 3195 Australia