[ASC-list] Hobart free public event on Monday: Climate change in Tasmania - our place in the global solution

Meg.Rive at csiro.au Meg.Rive at csiro.au
Fri Nov 14 00:02:57 UTC 2008

Posted on behalf of Susan Smith

---
Climate change in Tasmania - our place in the global solution

How will Tasmania be affected by climate change and how will it deal with the ensuing challenges? The climate change phenomenon will be the focus of the 2008 inaugural Bob Johannes Lecture presented by speakers Dr Graeme Pearman and Mr Greg Johannes, in Hobart on Monday, 17 November.

The CSIRO Alumni will host the free public lecture at the University of Tasmania's Stanley Burbury Theatre.

With reference to the current shifting of world climates, the address will challenge the notion that people can only act when they have perfect knowledge of a problem and its solution. It will attempt to test common assumptions surrounding community engagement in an effort to empower more Tasmanians to contribute to meeting the challenge presented by global warming.

Distinguished scientist Dr Graeme Pearman, a former science advisor to Al Gore, is internationally recognised for his award-winning research on climatic impact. He will examine what he considers to be the four key components of the challenge: complexity, uncertainty, urgency and equity.

"The complexity is daunting and invites human responses of procrastination, scepticism, denial and fervour," Dr Pearman says. "Uncertainty, where there is a potential for serious change, means precaution is necessary and in the case of climate change, this means urgency."

Endorsing the discussion will be Greg Johannes, the Tasmanian Government's principal representative on climate change issues. Mr Johannes says that major myths persist in much of our community which limit our capacity to respond effectively.

The lecture is scheduled at 6:00 pm for a 6:30 pm start at the Stanley Burbury Theatre, University of Tasmania, Churchill Avenue, Sandy Bay, Hobart.

Further information: Susan Smith, 03 9662 7287, susan.smith at csiro.au