[ASC-list] SE-Qld event - The Large Hadron Collider - what's it all about?

Michelle Riedlinger michelle at econnect.com.au
Mon Oct 6 01:02:32 UTC 2008

The Large Hadron Collider - what's it all about?

Venue: Parnell Building, Lecture Theatre 222
Date: Friday 10 October 2008 at 4:00 pm (sharp)
RSVP: Lynelle Ross (l.ross at sps.uq.edu.au)
Refreshments will be provided after the talk.

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) made headlines around the world recently
when it fired the first beam of particles around its 27km circumference. But
what will it do for science, and how does it work?

What actually is the much hyped Higgs boson, and how does it fit into the
highly successful Standard Model of particle physics? And is there actually
any risk of destroying our universe? (Hint: No, not really...)

Dr Joel Gilmore will give an overview of our understanding (or otherwise) of
particle physics, and talk about the theory and experiments that ultimately
lead to the construction of (arguably) the world's most expensive
experiment. Then after a virtual tour of the LHC's inner workings, he'll
discuss some of the Big Questions that we hope will be answered - and how
even if it finds nothing, that's something!

Venue: Parnell Building, Lecture Theatre 222
Date: Friday 10 October 2008 at 4:00 pm (sharp)
RSVP: Lynelle Ross (l.ross at sps.uq.edu.au)
Refreshments will be provided after the talk.

Please pass this onto anyone you feel would be interested in attending.
Regards,

Lynelle Ross
Communications and Marketing Officer
School of Physical Sciences

Room 204, Physics Annexe (Building 6),
The University of Queensland, Brisbane Australia 4072
Tel: 07 3346 9935 Fax: 07 3365 3328
Web: www.sps.uq.edu.au

CRICOS Provider No 00025B