[ASC-list] ASC Victoria event this Thursday - Communicating science in the Indigenous community

Meg.Rive at csiro.au Meg.Rive at csiro.au
Tue Oct 14 06:53:46 UTC 2008

How do we find a common language for communicating science in a diverse culture? Is the meaning and value of 'science' different for different communities?

How do we engage Indigenous participation in science? Joining our panel to discuss these questions and more are:

- Viki Briggs - Manager of the Centre for Excellence in Indigenous Tobacco Control (CEITC), a national tobacco research, policy, and advocacy program that seeks to increase knowledge and capacity in the area.

- Imogen Jubb - Communication Officer, Australian Climate Change Science Program. She previously worked for the Questacon ScienceLines program developing programs to share traditional knowledge, science and technology in Indigenous communities.

- Claire McLisky - studies and teaches Indigenous history at the University of Melbourne. She co-authored the report 'Black and White Science', an investigation of why Indigenous students are unlikely to study science at tertiary levels.

 - Jim Walker - from CSIRO's Office of Indigenous Engagement

Where: Upstairs at the Redback Brewery Hotel, 75 Flemington Road, North Melbourne
Cost: Members free; Non-members: $10, Non-member students: $5 (drinks and meals at bar prices)