[ASC-list] FREE Science Outside the Square event

Tyndall, Amanda (DPC) Tyndall.Amanda at dpc.sa.gov.au
Tue Sep 2 02:50:11 UTC 2008

FREE Science Outside the Square/RiAus event
ID: the quest for identity

Science Outside the Square (SOS) and the Royal Institution of Australia (RiAus) have some great science-focused events on the horizon.
First up, catch Baroness Professor Susan Greenfield as she tackles the topic of our quest for identity in a world increasing dominated by screen culture.
Susan will be in Adelaide on 17th September - where she'll be 'in conversation' with ABC Radio National's Natasha Mitchell - and in Melbourne on 18th.
Tickets are free, but make sure you reserve your place now; details of the event and how to book appear below.

ID: the quest for identity
? What does it means to be human in a world of rapid change, where we face an inspiring challenge to embrace creativity and forge our own identities?
? In what ways do new technologies and old ideologies combine to threaten our control of our minds?
? What threats - if any - does modern living pose for our individuality?
Big questions indeed, but ones that Susan Greenfield is keen to address. Drawing on the latest findings in neuroscience, she will explore how far we are and can be in control of the development of our brains and minds, and look at how we can safeguard our individuality and find fulfilment.

ADELAIDE
WHEN: Wednesday 17 September 2008, 7.30-9.00pm
WHERE: The Capri Theatre, 141 Goodwood Road, Goodwood, Adelaide
HOW: Free but ticket required - book via Bass on www.bass.net.au/sots2008/
Sponsored by the Department of the Premier and Cabinet, Government of South Australia, and The Advertiser.

MELBOURNE
WHEN: Thursday 18 September 2008, 12.30-1.30pm
WHERE: Village Roadshow Theatrette, the State Library of Victoria, 328 Swanston St, Entry 3, Melbourne
HOW: Free but ticket required - book at http://slvgreenfield.eventbrite.com/
In collaboration with the Government of Victoria and the State Library of Victoria.

SOS and the RiAus: 'Bringing science to people and people to science'