[ASC-list] Evolution - The Festival. Briefing in Canberra next Wednesday on Darwin celebrations.

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Sep 11 04:20:01 UTC 2008

Dear ASC members,

I'm writing on behalf of Phil Batterham to invite you a briefing in
Canberra on Darwin celebrations in Australia. It's at the Academy of
Science, next Wednesday at 4 pm.

Darwin was born 200 years ago next February. He published On the Origin
of Species 150 years ago next November. His work underpins all of modern
biology. Because of Darwin we better understand our place on this
planet. But his impact on agriculture, medicine, psychology, sociology,
politics, history and religion continues to be profound.

Phil is organising Evolution - The Festival in Australia. It's grown out
of a major Evolution conference planned for Melbourne in February.
There's a host of public activities in Melbourne, and Phil and I are now
working to encourage others celebrating Darwin in Australia to share
ideas and resources under the banner of Evolution - the Festival.

When Charles Darwin came to Australia on the voyage of HMS Beagle in
1836 he was an obscure English naturalist. 23 years later the
publication of his book, On The Origin of the Species, sparked an
intellectual, social and spiritual revolution.

Plans for the Melbourne leg of the Festival include:

a)  Church Service at St Paul's Cathedral exploring the interface
between faith and science (8 February 2009). This service will be lead
by the Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne, Phillip Freier.

b)  A huge public dinner to celebrate Charles Darwin's birthday (12
February 2009).  This dinner will utilise the entire Melbourne Museum
and the IMAX Theatre.  There will be live entertainment including a show
provided by the National Institute of Circus Arts, IMAX films and guests
will eat their way through the evolutionary tree, starting with the
Primordial Soup.

c)  We are negotiating with the Australian National Maritime Museum for
the replica of HMB Endeavour (http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=457
<https://owa.unimelb.edu.au/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.anmm.go
v.au/site/page.cfm?u=457> ) to sail to Melbourne during the Festival.
We plan to have Year 10 students from around Australia, scientists and
media representatives on board.

d) Working with the Science Teachers Association of Victoria to maximise
the educational impact of the Festival program.

And now we are working to share ideas and content with others
celebrating Darwin around the country including the Melbourne Food and
Wine Festival, the major Writers Festivals, the Melbourne Comedy
Festival and the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival, the universities and
others.

Briefing:

This is an information and discussion session on plans and opportunities
connected with the event.

Come with your thoughts on this celebration and explore ideas on how you
or your organisation can be involved.

When:

4pm, Wednesday 17 Sept 2008

Where: