[ASC-list] SE Qld event tomorrow night: Alanna Mitchell - Seasick

Michelle Riedlinger michelle at econnect.com.au
Wed Sep 17 02:38:55 UTC 2008

Seasick: The Hidden Ecological Crisis of the Global Ocean (N3)

Thursday 18th September, 6.30PM-7.30PM

State Library Queensland - Terrace

Alanna Mitchell  - named the best environmental reporter in the world by the
Reuters Foundation in 2000.

Alanna Mitchell examines the deterioration of our oceans.

Ch: Joel Gilmore

Tickets: $13.50 to $16.50 at the door

It is a disturbing reality that many people believe the oceans of our planet
are largely devoid of life and ecological significance. In actual fact, the
oceans are the great unexamined ecological crisis of our planet.

Globally the oceans cover 71 per cent of the planet’s surface and contain 90
per cent of the mass of life on Earth. While tremendous attention and money
have been invested in saving the ecosystems of our land animals and plants,
the gradual deterioration of ocean life has been happening in secret.
Scientists are just beginning to piece together the growing crisis beneath
the waves and its implications for future life on this planet.

Seasick is the first book to take the scattered pieces of this scientific
puzzle and bring them into a cohesive story. It will change the way people
understand the global ocean and its importance to all life on earth. This
engaging and timely work of narrative non-fiction opens with the
deterioration of the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland and features Alanna
Mitchell’s discussions with Tim Flannery, former Australian of the Year and
bestselling author of The Weather Makers. AS GO THE OCEANS, SO GOES THE
PLANET...

Alanna Mitchell is the author of the internationally acclaimed Dancing at
the Dead Sea: Tracking the World’s Environmental Hotspots. In 2000, while
working at Canada’s national newspaper The Globe and Mail, she was named the
best environmental reporter in the world by the Reuters Foundation. The
prize led her to be a visiting scholar at Oxford University’s Green College.

In her 17 years as a newspaper journalist, she won three international
reporting awards as well as several national awards for her work on social
trends and finance. She is now a public speaker and independent writer
living in Toronto, Canada.

'A riveting book of revelations about Earth's largest and most important
habitat’ – Tim Flannery

Visit BrisScience at www.BrisScience.org

Become a friend of BrisScience on Facebook! Visit us at
www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5211859132

Dr Michelle Riedlinger
Econnect Communication
0400 577 843
michelle at econnect.com.au
www.econnect.com.au

Good things, when short, are twice as good - Baltasar Gracián (1601-58)

1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere
3 sheets of A4 paper = 1 litre of water
Please consider the  environment before printing this email