[ASC-list] Science communication around the world - Event tonight

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Sep 18 03:13:00 UTC 2008

Dear ASCers,

Here's a quick reminder about tonight's ASC Victoria event, and looking
forward to those in the coming weeks.

Science communication around the world - international update

What's going on in science communication on the around the world?
Tonight ASC Victoria will cross the globe, bringing you science
communication news and activities from an international perspective. Dr
Andi Horvath and Wendy Williams are hosting a special session full of
insights and updates from Europe and around the world. Both have
recently attended the Public Communication of Science and Technology
conference in Sweden. If you attended the PCST meeting OR have any
insights to offer on the international scene we'd be very keen to have
you participate.

You can read more about the PCST conference at this blog site:
http://wordpress.com/tag/pcst-conference/

Where: Redback Brewery Hotel, 75 Flemington Road, North Melbourne

Cost: Members free; Non-members: $10, Non-member students: $5 (drinks
and meals at bar prices)

Date: Thursday 18 September 2008

Time: 6.45pm for a 7pm start

Also upcoming: join ASC Victoria's visit to the surface of Mars,
communication and the indigenous community, and our 'Web 2.0 made
practical' session especially for science communicators.

*         ASC excursion to Mars - 9 October

*         Communicating science to indigenous people - 16 October (TBC)

*         Movember - science communication and men's health 20 November
(TBC)

*         Media training for scientists

Kind regards,

Niall

________________________________

ASC excursion venue: surface of Mars

ASC members are invited to join an excursion to the surface of Mars,
with thanks to the Victorian Space Science Education Centre at
Strathmore.

The session will include talks from experts and a tour of this excellent
educational venue - enough to get our creative juices flowing ahead of
planned events for International Year of Astronomy 2009. More details in
my next bulletin.

Watch a video on the Space Science Education Centre here:
http://www.vssec.vic.edu.au/main.php?page=promovideo

Where: Victorian Space Science Education Centre at Strathmore

Date: Thursday 9 October food and drink provided

Time: 6 - 8pm

_______________________

Communicating science to indigenous people

How do we find a common language for communicating science in a diverse
culture? Is the meaning of 'science' different for different
communities? We'll be joined in this session by a panel of speakers with
experience in the area. More details will be provided closer to the
date.

Date: 16 October 2008 (TBC)

Time: 6.45pm for a 7pm start

_______________________

Movember - science communication and men's health

We're planning a session in the month of 'Movember' - when organisers of
this unique charity event will explain how it succeeds in raising
awareness of issues in Men's health.

Date: 20 November 2008 (TBC)

Time: 6.45pm for a 7pm start

_______________________

Web 2.0: A practical info session for science communicators

Our June session was a fascinating discussion on the world of Web 2.0
with experts and academics about the possibilities for science
communicators. Following on interest from the group a second, and more
practical, information session on web 2.0 tools (including wikis, blogs,
etc.) is now planned.

The session will again be held at the Redback Brewery Hotel.

We are now finalising a date, but please contact Jason at
jmajor at unimelb.edu.au  if you are interested so we can confirm numbers.
All welcome.

_____________________________________

Media and communication training for scientists

The next Science in Public media and communication training sessions are
confirmed for the rest of the year:

Dates:

Thursday 25 September

Thursday 23 October

Thursday 20 November

Three working journalists will join us in the course of the day to talk
about newspapers, radio and TV, and conduct practice interviews.
Journalists we have used in the past have included Gerard Scholten from
Channel Ten, Chee Chee Leung from The Age, Dina Rosendorf from the
Herald Sun and Donna De Maio from 3AW news.

Previous participants tell us that after the course they feel more
prepared, not just for media interviews but also for other presentations
to stakeholders, customers and the public.

This workshop is a modified version of the courses developed by our
colleagues at Econnect Communication and is licensed from them.

Each course is limited to 12 participants.

For more on the course and future dates visit
http://www.scienceinpublic.com/mediatraining.htm

Time: 9.30am-5pm

Where: Redback Brewery Hotel (upstairs), 75 Flemington Road, North
Melbourne

Cost: $650 + GST per person. Morning and afternoon tea and lunch will be
provided.

Discount available for financial ASC members.

Niall Byrne

Science Communication Consultant
Science in Public

ph +61 3 9398 1416