[ASC-list] Straw poll on science literacy and Aussies

Michelle Riedlinger michelle at econnect.com.au
Fri Sep 26 00:07:18 UTC 2008

>From Wendy Williams - please reply to wendy.williams at iird.vic.gov.au or on
list.

Dear ASCers

I am pondering two questions about science literacy.

   What skill set does the average Australian need to be scientifically
   literate?

   Why would the average Australian want to be scientifically literate? How
   might they apply science literacy to real world situations?

What do you think?

I am keen to get a quick straw poll on what ASCers think - opening today
(26 September) , close next Friday (3 October)  .
Send a list of skills or just the one that springs to mind - but keep  it
relevant to Australia. References to papers etc would also be useful.
I will send the end result out to the ASC mailing list.

There are many science literacy definitions. The ABS uses this one and it
might be a useful place to start:

   Science literacy is an individual's capacity to use scientific
   knowledge, to identify questions and to draw evidence-based conclusions
   in order to understand and help make decisions about the natural world
   and the changes made to it through human activity.
                                                      Australian Bureau of
   Statistics, 1301.0 - Year Book Australia

Thanks for your input.

Wendy Williams
Manager, Science and Community
Innovation and Technology Division
Department of Innovation, Industry and Regional Development Level 7, 121
Exhibition Street Melbourne VIC 3000
Tel: 03 9655 1092  (note new phone number)
Mob: 0434 890 291