[ASC-list] Straw poll on science literacy and Aussies

Liese Coulter change123 at bigpond.com
Fri Sep 26 01:40:33 UTC 2008

About science literacy, lets start at home. My favourite chemistry is food
chem. Maybe real cooking goes out the door when time is short because we
need an awareness of chemistry. We rely on interactions between heat, fats,
moisture and chemical reactions to bake successfully or put together a great
meal without a recipe. Then there is food shopping with some awareness of
nutrition, let alone allowing for the food sensitivities that are becoming
so common. Here understanding scientific terms allows us to decide if we
want our dinner to include trans-fats, hydrogenated or poly-unsaturated oil
with our vegetables. And what about all those free radicals in fruit,
shouldn't someone catch them?

We use physics to look at our energy bills and decide how to make them less.
How do we choose the right insulation? Which glass product works for our
current climate as well as the climate we might expect in the next 20 years.
And how do we judge the benefits of double glazing compared to glass with
heat reflective coatings?

Logical thinking is an important underpinning of scientific knowledge and
there are many systems we apply to prove our answers to daily questions.
Anything that can be audited has to provide answers that can be reproduced
independently. So when we mind our own business we are applying scientific
methods to get bankable answers.

Liese Coulter, M.Sc.
Communicating a climate of change
change123 at bigpond.com
http://www.change123.net
0402 084 661
+61 2 6624 2910
A member of www.sustainnorthernrivers.org - a campaign to involve the whole
community in setting priorities for climate change action in our region.