[ASC-list] NSW event - Communicating astronomy to the ipod generation (formerly "The European Scene")

Phil Dooley p.dooley at physics.usyd.edu.au
Tue Apr 14 02:56:41 UTC 2009

The Hubblecast: communicating astronomy to the ipod generation
       (formerly "The European Scene")
Dr Jochen Liske European Southern Observatory

ASC NSW's April event

WHEN: Wed 15th April, 6.30 pm
WHERE: Upstairs, Clarendon Hotel,
      Devonshire St Surry Hills ( 5 mins walk up from Central)
RSVP: ascnsw at gmail.com
COST: FREE
Finger food will be provided.

Communicating a scientific facility's achievements and discoveries to
the general public is a tricky business. Traditionally, the good old
press release is one of the key methods used. However, it completely
fails to reach entire target audiences: teenagers and other technophiles
obtain their information almost exclusively online, often ignoring the
mainstream media outlets. Podcasts offer scientific institutions a
direct route to these audiences. Here I will describe our experience
with the Hubblecast, a video podcast featuring news and images from the
Hubble Space Telescope.

Hope you can join us!

--
Dr Phil Dooley,