[ASC-list] Brisbane - double lecture on spaghetti astronomy and the history of the galaxy

Susannah Eliott SEliott at aussmc.org
Thu Apr 30 04:11:13 UTC 2009

Dear ASCers,

All you space nuts out there will surely find this double lecture
fascinating (another occasion where I wish I lived in Brisbane (at least
during the dry spells!)). Please don't respond to this email, though.
RSVP details are below.

Cheers

Susannah

Susannah Eliott

CEO, Australian Science Media Centre

Science cooperation between Australia and Germany

Spaghetti Astronomy - Revealing the Universe with Optical Fibres

&

>From RAVE to Gaia: Exploring the History of our Galaxy

A public double lecture at the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium,

Brisbane Botanic Gardens (Mt Coot-tha), Mt Coot-tha Rd, Toowong.

Sunday, 10 May 2009 - 3.15pm for 4.00 pm.

Bookings essential by phoning 3403 2578 (Tue to Sun after 10.30am).

Guest Speakers:

Professor Fred Watson (Anglo Australian Observatory)

Professor Matthias Steinmetz (Astrophysical Institute Potsdam)

Spaghetti Astronomy - Revealing the Universe with Optical Fibres

Fred Watson will talk about how our knowledge of the Universe has been
transformed by the

advent of new technologies, ranging from spacecraft exploring the Solar
System to giant

telescopes sensing invisible radiation from the stars. Australia is a
world leader in the use of

fibre optics to survey the vital statistics of large numbers of
celestial objects. This has given

us our best understanding to date of the geography of the local
Universe, and promises to

reveal such secrets as the nature of the mysterious Dark Energy that
permeates the Cosmos.

New developments in this field have resulted in an Australian-German
alliance that will

exploit these pioneering technologies to the scientific benefit of both
communities. This

entertaining and fully-illustrated talk will cover the exciting
prospects ahead.

>From RAVE to Gaia: Exploring the History of our Galaxy

Matthias Steinmetz will address the RAVE (Radial Velocity

Experiment) - an ambitious all-sky spectroscopic survey to measure

radial velocities and stellar atmosphere parameters of up to one million

stars using the 6dF multi-object spectrograph on the 1.2-m UK Schmidt

Telescope of the Anglo-Australian Observatory (AAO). He will also

talk about the planned Gaia orbiting observatory which will conduct a

census of one thousand million stars in our Galaxy.

Dr Susannah Eliott

Chief Executive Officer

Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC)

PO Box 237

RUNDLE MALL  SA  5000

Ph: (08) 8207 7411 | Mob: 0424 676 136 | Fax: (08) 8207 7413 |
seliott at aussmc.org <mailto:seliott at aussmc.org>  | www.aussmc.org
<http://www.aussmc.org/>

The Australian Science Media Centre (AusSMC) is an independent national
venture working to make evidence-based science available to everyone
through the media.  The not-for-profit centre is advised by a Science
Advisory Panel and governed by a Board of Management.  It is supported
by a wide variety of sectors with each contribution capped at 10% of
total running costs.  Foundation sponsors are the ABC, APN News & Media,
Cochlear Foundation Ltd, CSIRO, Fairfax Media, the Govt of SA,
Innovative Research Universities Australia, Macquarie Bank, Media
Monitors, News Ltd, New South Wales Govt, NHMRC, Orica Ltd, Queensland
Govt, ResMed Inc, Shell Australia Ltd, Network Ten, the University of
Melbourne and the State Govt of Victoria.  Gold Sponsors are Johnson
Winter & Slattery, BHP Billiton, CSL Ltd and the University of Adelaide.

Disclaimer: Please note that any views expressed are the personal
opinions of the experts named.  They do not represent the views of the
AusSMC or any other organisation unless specifically stated.  The AusSMC
attempts to provide a range of views from the scientific community.

The AusSMC can help journalists find an expert on a topical area of
science.  For more details, contact us. If you do not wish to receive
further emails from the AusSMC, please reply with "Unsubscribe" in the
Subject.