[ASC-list] Thursday 20th August, BYO Science: Nature - sell it to save it?

Jenni Metcalfe jenni at econnect.com.au
Tue Aug 4 07:21:38 UTC 2009

BYO brain, sense of humour and healthy appetite for controversy to the
Plough Inn (Stanley St Plaza Southbank, Brisbane) for the INTECOL BYO
Science night.  Should we sell biodiversity? And if so, how much should it
cost? And would we float it on the stock market?  These and many other curly
questions on the commercial value of nature and our future within it will be
bandied around and debated with some big names in ecology.

The session will be chaired by Bernie Hobbs from ABC Science and speakers
include:

.        Prof. Hugh Possingham from the University of Queensland

.        Dr Stefan Hajkowicz from CSIRO's  Sustainable Ecosystems

.        Dr Nicola Markus from Bush Heritage Australia

The Plough Inn has great meals, and the event will be a cabaret style panel
with complimentary nibbles. Drinks at bar prices.

In collaboration with Australian Science Communicators, and supported by the
QLD Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation.

For further information on INTECOL, the 10th International Ecology Congress,
see: http://www.intecol10.org

Jenni Metcalfe

Director Econnect Communication

PO Box 734