[ASC-list] National Science Communication Strategy forum

Timothy Thwaites timth at optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 12 03:41:13 UTC 2009

Dear ASCers,

If you are interested in the development of the National Science
Communication Strategy, here is an opportunity to get involved in shaping
the Australian Science Communicators submission.

This is an invitation to join an electronic forum/discussion where you can
put forward your views. The URL is http://auscicommstrategy.ning.com/

Time lines are short. The submission has to be emailed to the steering
committee by Monday 24 August. I propose to begin drafting something on
Friday 14 August. During the week commencing Monday 17 August, I will be in
Brisbane at the Intecol conference and the ASC Hot Air symposium  (Wednesday
19 August) where I will be meeting with Jenni Metcalfe, Joan Leach and Will
Rifkin among others, to refine the draft submission. Hopefully, I will be
able to complete it when I get home in time for lodging on Monday 24 August.

During this process, I should be able to lodge draft versions in this forum
for comment.

What I want from you are:

1.      What should be the goal of a National Science Communication
Strategy? What should science communication achieve?

2.      How do you evaluate effective science communication? Examples?

3.      Practical examples of successful science communication.

4.      Practical ideas for action in the next 12 months and the next five
years?

5.      What should be the Commonwealth responsibility in this area and what
should be left to the States?

6.      Mechanisms that could support and sustain more effective science
communication-particularly those which would simulate cooperation between
groups and future investment in science communication.

You can lodge your ideas on these and other topics on the Ning set up for
the purpose.

Tim Thwaites

National President

Australian Science Communicators