[ASC-list] Wanted: 292 reasons to act on climate change for a New Zealand Honours project

Kali Madden office at asc.asn.au
Thu Aug 13 10:30:56 UTC 2009

Dear ASCers,

With our Climate Change symposia in full swing this year courtesy of the
very active Jenni Metcalfe (http://www.econnect.com.au/), and with
science-art AND climate change streams at our upcoming November conference,
I thought some of you might be interested in supporting this wonderful New
Zealand-based Honours project by registering your "reasons to act on climate
change" on a web site.

Reasons will be converted into a street art campaign in the hope that "a
visual representation of public sentiment will be a persuasive reminder of
how much people CARE about this topic."

Note that as Alana is hoping to use these verbatim as much as possible, she
requests you to "keep them short and sharp/sweet!".

Surely a few Australian Science Communicators can help her out here??

More information copied below (sourced via a Ning site on sustainability
called "Intersect" at
http://intersect.ning.com/forum/topics/350-reasons-to-support-action

Cheers,

Kali
ASC Office

---------------------------

Alana McCrossin August 13, 2009 at 5:10pm says:

Hey! Here's an opportunity to share your passion on the topic of climate
change with the Wellington public.

I'm a design student at Massey and am basing my final year project around
350 and 'civic voice'. In other words, I'm on a mission to collect 350
reasons to act on climate change so that I can turn these reasons into a
street art campaign. The idea is that the diversity of reasons for wanting
action is as great as the diversity of people that climate change will
affect – which ultimately, is everyone. I'm hoping that a visual
representation of public sentiment will be a persuasive reminder of how much
people CARE about this topic.

But, I need some help collecting these reasons, so would love it if you
could pop on to www.350reasons.wordpress.com and add your own to the list.
It's quick, anonymous and pretty fun once you get going.

Thanks - bring on October 24th!

---------------------------

and from the wordpress site: http://350reasons.wordpress.com/

This is the place where you get to share your reasons for wanting action to
be taken over climate change. The idea is that the diversity of reasons for
wanting this as great as the diversity of people that climate change will
affect – which ultimately, is everyone…

But this is not just another outlet for like minded people to share their
views. I want to take these reasons and make them public by turning them
into 350 different pieces of street art. I’m currently in my final year of a
graphic design degree at Massey University in Wellington, New Zealand and am
completing an Honours project on climate change and personal expression in
public space. Finally I have the opportunity to use my skills for a cause I
really believe in – but I need your help to collect these reasons.

So go crazy! Give me all the reasons you can think of for why we want to
start treating our planet with a little more respect. These reasons can
range from the latest scary statistics you’ve heard, to the benefits we
would reap from a change of attitude. All you need to do is click on ‘leave
a reply’ and type away (you don’t even have to fill out the name and email
forms – that’s just a trick). It’s anonymous and the bigger diversity of
replies I get, the better.

I’d like to use these reasons verbatim as much as I can, so it would be
really helpful if you could try keep them short and sharp/sweet! Thanks :)
---------------------------

To supply your reasons to act visit: http://350reasons.wordpress.com/

58 of the desired 350 reasons have been lodged at time of sending

:)

Kali

-------------------------------
Kali Madden
Email: kali.madden at gmail.com

Communication, Outreach & Education Projects

Australian Science Communicators
Community Builder (Membership, Web, Events, Social Media)
http://www.asc.asn.au/

Centre for Ultrahigh-bandwidth Devices for Optical Systems (CUDOS)
Department of Physics
Macquarie University/University of Sydney
http://www.cudos.org.au/

Space To Grow (Faulkes Telescope Project)
Department of Physics/
Macquarie ICT Innovations Centre (MACICT)
Macquarie University
http://www.astronomy.mq.edu.au/space2grow/

Australian National Fabrication Facility Ltd (ANFF)
OptoFab Node, Sydney
http://www.anff.org.au/