[ASC-list] Vic: Tomorrow 8pm: explore Life, the Universe and Nothing

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Sat Aug 22 03:03:33 UTC 2009

Dear ASCers,

Join me tomorrow evening to explore Life, the Universe and Nothing at
the Melbourne Writers Festival.

Our guide will be Lawrence Krauss: physicist; writer; Obama campaign
member.

Why is the Universe we appear to inhabit the worst of all possible
universes?

Since we've discovered that the dominant energy of the universe resides
in empty space, several fascinating questions have arisen: Can life be
eternal in an eternally expanding universe? Are the laws of physics
tailored for the existence of life? And what will science in the far
future tell us about the universe?  Lawrence is appearing at the Writers
Festival with the support of National Science Week and the International
Year of Astronomy.

The talk is at 8 pm tomorrow, Sunday evening at the RMIT Capitol Theatre
<Javascript:openBrWindow('venue.asp?v=8','vm','toolbar=no,menubar=no,scr
ollbars=no,resizable=false,width=550,height=450')> , 113 Swanston St,
Melbourne, Vic, 3000

You can buy tickets at http://tickets.mwf.com.au/session.asp?s=111

We've got a good crowd in but the theatre holds 600.

So join us, and admire the ceiling, in "The best cinema that was ever
built or is ever likely to be built" (architect Robin Boyd, The
Australian, 24 December 1965).

Niall

Niall Byrne

Science in Public

26 Railway Street South, Altona Vic 3018

ph +61 (3) 9398 1416 or 0417 131 977

niall at scienceinpublic.com.au

Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com
<http://www.scienceinpublic.com/>