[ASC-list] CSIRO Perfidy?

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Aug 27 05:02:21 UTC 2009

David,

I think there's room to be a bit more sceptical about Geoff Russell's
book. I've seen his commentaries on Crikey over the years.

And it only took a few minutes with Professor Google to find rebuttals.

Geoff made these claims last year in an article for the Monthly:
http://www.themonthly.com.au/monthly-essays-geoff-russell-confounders-cs
iro-and-total-wellbeing-diet-872

At the time in the SMH CSIRO scientist Manny Noakes said,

"She said yesterday: "We will continue to look at all the evidence. The
WCRF report suggests one thing but we understand that a large study in
the United States due to be released soon shows no relationship between
red meat and colorectal cancer."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/csiro-diet-ignores-cancer-concern
s/2008/03/31/1206850811900.html

There's a few others.

Geoff and others may have a point about the amount of protein in the
Well Being Diet. But constructing a conspiracy theory around it is a
long stretch.

And of course Geoff is on a mission. He is a vigorous animal rights and
vegetarian campaigner

That's not a criticism.

But science isn't done, or broken in these kinds of polemic books be it

	The vegetarian's expose on red meat

	The lawyer's expose of the poison of sugar

	Or the geologist's expose of the climate change fraud.

All interesting books but none I suspect are really useful contributors
to an evidence-based discussion of these issues.

Ps - I've included the lawyer's expose because he has a similar attack
on the scientists. In his case it's Jennie Brand-Miller and the
glycaemic index. I trust Jennie.

Pps - Disclosure - I advise various parts of CSIRO on communication from
time to time but never in this area.

Niall

Niall Byrne

Science in Public
26 Railway Street South, Altona Vic 3018

ph +61 (3) 9398 1416 or 0417 131 977
niall at scienceinpublic.com.au

Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com