[ASC-list] Our deep ancestry revealed, Christmas parties and a call for papers

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Dec 3 01:24:04 UTC 2009

Dear ASCers,

Last call for science communication papers for the February 2010 ASC
National Conference, big events this week include the World Congress of
Science and Factual Producers, the Genographic Project's Melbourne
results event and finally come bowling at the Victorian ASC's Christmas
party: explore the maths of bias with our geeks.

In this bulletin:

This week: Discover our deep ancestry with Nat Geo's Spencer Wells -
free lecture this Sunday, 6 December

This week: World Congress of Science and Factual Producers public events

Next week: A Very ASC VIC Christmas

Next week: ASC National Conference 2010: Call for papers closes 7
December

Join the ASC

Science in Public media training

Reporting back: Bushfire Science: communicating in an emotionally
charged environment

ASC Victoria committee

Kind regards,
Niall

ASC Victoria President

If this message has been forwarded to you and you would like to receive
future bulletins then please email me at niall at scienceinpublic.com.au

If you do not wish to receive these updates on science communication
events happening in Victoria, please let me know.  These emails are also
available as an rss feed from
http://www.scienceinpublic.com/blog/category/bulletins/asc

You can also sign up to the Australian Science Communicator's email
discussion list at www.asc.asn.au

This week: Discover our deep ancestry with Nat Geo's Spencer Wells -
free lecture this Sunday, 6 December

Discover Melburnians' deep ancestry and the journey of humanity from
African origins to life in a warming world.

In October a thousand Melburnians queued up to participate in the
Genographic Project. The first hundred received a free analysis of their
deep ancestry.

Spencer Wells, the global leader of the Genographic Project, will report
back on the results.

Location: The Spot Theatre, 198 Berkley St, Melbourne

Time: 10am-12pm

For more information, and free tickets go to
http://humanjourneys.com.au/index.php?page=registration

This week: World Congress of Science and Factual Producers public events

The World Congress of Science and Factual Producers (WCSFP) is THE
must-attend gathering for producers, broadcasters and distributors
working in factual television and this year it's here in Melbourne 1 - 4
December 2009.

Full details can be found here: http://wcsfp.com/

The public events we mentioned previously are now fully booked, but you
can still catch Spencer Wells discussing Genographics at his free
lecture on Sunday (see Discover our deep ancestry with Nat Geo's Spencer
Wells above)

Next week: A Very ASC VIC Christmas

James Hutson is organising a cracking event. Here's his invite.

Just a reminder - as if you needed one- that it's beginning to look a
lot like a celebration to mark the Northern hemisphere winter solstice
subsequently co-opted by the Romans and the early Christian church.

A Very ASC VIC Christmas where we examine "Human-powered propulsion of
flattened spheroids across a surface of synthetic angiosperms" or as
we'd communicate it to the public: lawn bowls.

7.30pm Thursday 10 Dec 2009
Fitzroy Bowls Club
http://bit.ly/fitzbowlsmap

Bowling is from 8.30-10.30pm. We'll have 3 rinks/lanes and that'll mean
24 people can bowl comfortably. More if we timeshare.

Cost $15 per head (for those who wish to bowl)
We'll hire a bbq and ASC will cover the cost for simple bbq fare (bread,
salad, sausages)
Drinks at bar prices

RSVP to james at scienceinpublic.com.au (and please do so soon: we need a
good idea of those eating and/or bowling by Monday 7 December)

Next week: ASC National Conference 2010: Call for papers closes 7
December

The ASC Conference will be held at the Australian National University in
Canberra on 8-10 February.

We already have a strong draft program, built around social media,
communicating complex issues, science communicating and the Arts and the
latest science communication research.

Conference registration will open soon and we will announce our key
speakers at that time. Of course, the main attraction will be meeting
and talking with other communicators, and there will be plenty of
opportunity to do so during the conference proper and at the associated
social events

Keep checking the ASC website (www.asc.asn.au <http://www.asc.asn.au/> )
and the ASC mailing lists for the latest information.

A segment of the conference is devoted to hearing about and discussing
the latest research on science communication.

The ASC president has now put out a call for research papers. The call
is open to anyone involved in science communication research-attached to
a university or not. All papers will be assessed on their merits.

Full details:
http://www.asc.asn.au/2009/10/ascnatconf2010-call-for-papers/

Deadline: 7 December 2009

Join the ASC

We need your membership to help build the ASC as a true national
organisation for people with an interest in science communication.

Visit our revamped website at www.asc.asn.au for membership information,
how to join the ASC's mailing lists and more science social media than
you can point a mouse at. Yes, just like all the cool kids we're on:

*         twitter http://twitter.com/auscicomm

*         facebook
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4226148731&ref=ts and

*         flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/auscicomm (along with a
few photo groups which we'd like you contribute to)

Science in Public media training

We (Science in Public) are holding media training courses for scientists
in Melbourne on

*         Thursday 21 January 2010

*         Tuesday 2 March 2010

*         Tuesday 13 April 2010

We are also planning courses in Sydney and Canberra:

*         Sydney - Date TBC and

*         Canberra -Date TBC

Details are available at www.scienceinpublic.com.au/blog/training. A
discount is available for ASC financial members.

Reporting back: Bushfire Science: communicating in an emotionally
charged environment

Thanks to Meg Rive and Simon Torok for organising such an engaging
session. And to participants:

*         Kevin Hennessy (CSIRO climate scientist)

*         Steve Varga (Wandong resident, appeared on SBS Insight and an
ABC documentary at www.abc.net.au/innovation/blacksaturday/people/steve)

*         John Ferguson (Herald Sun journalist)

The audio of the session will be available for download on the ASC
website soon. We'll let you know when it goes up.

ASC Victoria committee

These sessions are organised by the volunteer ASC Victoria committee. If
you are interested in being involved in the committee please contact Meg
Rive at meg.rive at csiro.au. We will be holding our AGM shortly where it's
your chance to get involved.

Right now, your committee is:

*         Niall Byrne: President

*         Jason Major: Treasurer

*         Meg Rive: Regional representative on the national ASC board

*         L.E. Ohman

*         Ian Muchamore

*         James Hutson

*         Laura Miles