[ASC-list] Meet and greet, AGM and find out about freelancing - March 4 (ACT)

Joanna.Savill at csiro.au Joanna.Savill at csiro.au
Wed Feb 4 06:09:08 UTC 2009

ASC Canberra is holding it's first meeting for 2009 on March 4 at 5.30pm in CPAS's green couch room.

Please join us to :
-          hear from David Salt about freelance science journalism and communication
-          meet fellow science communicators in the ACT
-          participate in a super fast and belated AGM for the Canberra branch.

Nibblies will be provided, drinks will be available at a low cost, and entry is by gold coin donation for both ASC members and non members. Please RSVP by March 3 for catering purposes. More information on the event will be provided closer to the day.

The ASC Canberra AGM:
We'd love to have more people involved on our committee. The committee's main responsibility is organising networking and professional development events for ASC members in Canberra. Available positions include:
-          President and national liaison officer
-          Secretary
-          Treasurer
-          Web updater
-          General committee members
-          And others I may have forgotten at the moment...
Please register your interest in being a committee member with myself before the meeting if possible. Being on the committee is a great way to build your professional network and get event management experience, and we always have nice afternoon tea at meetings.

More about David Salt:
David is a science writer and editor currently serving as a knowledge broker for the Applied Environmental Decision Analysis (AEDA) research hub. AEDA was set up as part of the Commonwealth Environment Facilities program to help inject more science into decision-making processes (connected with things like planning nature reserves, establishing monitoring programs and enhancing revegetation efforts). AEDA includes researchers at ANU, the University of Queensland and the University of Melbourne.

Prior to coming to the Fenner School, David established The Helix magazine for CSIRO Education and Newton magazine for Australian Geographic, and produced the award-winning Materials Monthly for the ANU Centre for Science and Engineering of Materials. He has also served as the Communications Manager for CSIRO Wildlife and Ecology.

He now writes and edits the AEDA's monthly magazine Decision Point.

Looking forward to seeing new and old faces on March 4!

Cheers,

Jo Savill
retiring President of Canberra ASC
P 0410 996 158