[ASC-list] Science Communication Manager, QLD Insitute of Medical Technology - job to be advertised 21 Feb, c lose 6 March
jenni at econnect.com.au
Wed Feb 11 23:24:00 UTC 2009
The primary objectives of the position are to develop an effective
relationship with scientists within QIMR to:
* provide advice in relation to media strategy and communications to
maximise the coverage of the important published research findings ; and
* co-ordinate all scientific communications ensuring the messages
are integrated with and support the overall communications strategy of the
QIMR is a statutory body under the QIMR Act (1945). The mission of QIMR is
to promote the wellbeing of humankind through medical research, to maintain
within the State of Queensland an internationally recognised centre for
medical research, to develop that centre as the primary focus of medical
research within the State and to collaborate with other medical research
establishments within the State and throughout the world.
The Corporate consists of staff groups located in the Bancroft Centre and
Clive Berghofer Cancer Research Centre. The Division is organised as four
branches, each headed by a Senior Manager:
* Corporate Support
* Scientific Support
* External Support
* Legal and Risk Support
The role of the Corporate Division is to provide support services to QIMR's
research staff to enable them to effectively conduct research and
development. This position reports directly to the Senior Manager External
Relations, and works in consultation with other members of the External
Relations group. The role has both an internal focus (managing relationships
with scientists) and an external focus (managing relationships with key
external stakeholders including the media and the wider community).
The role is a critical conduit in helping to build the QIMR brand -
understanding the science and seeking to effectively communicate this to the
community and market in such a way as to advance QIMR and its objectives.
The Science Communication Manager reports to and receives policy direction
from the Senior Manager External Relations and is expected to work with a
degree of independence and autonomy in the determination of strategies,
priorities, work standards and the allocation of resources within the
position's areas of responsibility.
Reporting into this role include positions in the Science Communication and
* Developing effective working relationships with scientists and the
Consumer and Community Participation Committee - understanding the aims and
methods of the research being undertaken and working with the scientists to
help develop communications which both publicise their achievements and
which help to build QIMR's profile for excellence in research.
* Development and implementation of an overall media strategy for
publicising the research efforts of the Institute.
* Development and delivery of media awareness and training programs
and tools to educate scientists regarding effective media coverage and
ensure this is undertaken in a consistent manner.
* Research, draft and disseminate media statements, stories, media
releases and background information on behalf of QIMR.
* Oversee the community relations program which includes scientific
tours of QIMR, scientific speaking engagements and displays.
* Help develop the education program undertaken by QIMR - visits to
schools and other interested parties.
* Development of documentation of published research for use
internally and externally.
* Provision of accurate scientific content for the website.
* Contribute to the preparation of the External Relations Branch's
strategic and business plans
* Ensure all media and communication is undertaken in accordance
with various legislative requirements.
* Monitor performance of the Science Communications team against
budget on a regular basis
* Coordinate and consult with subordinate staff, reviewing reports
* Manage the selection and training of subordinate staff positions,
establishing lines of control, defining and agreeing key KPIs and delegating
Senior Manager | External Relations
300 Herston Road, Herston QLD, 4006
PO Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, QLD, 4029
Tel: +61 7 3362 0206 | Fax: +61 7 3362 0102
Email: <mailto:vivienne.johnson at qimr.edu.au> vivienne.johnson at qimr.edu.au
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ASC-list