[ASC-list] Science communication jobs, Melbourne

Sarah Brooker sarah at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Jan 13 02:26:19 UTC 2009

Science communication jobs, Melbourne

We're looking for two science communicators to join our team either fulltime or near fulltime. One position is   early-career, the other for an experienced project officer.

For both positions we're looking for people who are familiar with science and the science community, enjoy communicating and are able to present in both a professional and friendly manner.

You must be able to write, manage a number of projects at once and work to tight deadlines. A solid grounding in web 2.0 tools would be an advantage.

You will either have a background in science with a talent for communicating or a background in journalism with an interest in science.

Then, other skills that would be an advantage are:

- project management
- media liaison
- web writing and web management
- computer and technology knowledge (a fixer)
- design skills
- database management
- event management

Obviously, we are not going to get all of these skills in one person. We are looking to recruit team members that can cover these skills. The positions are full time and are based at our office in Altona, Victoria.

Salary will be negotiated based on experience. You will be working directly with Niall Byrne and as part of a small team.

Our current project portfolio includes:
·               Communication support for the Australian Institute of Physics
·               Support for the International Year of Astronomy
·               Support for Evolution: the Festival
·               L'Oréal Australia For Women in Science fellowship program
·               Fresh Science
·               Prime Minister's Prizes for Science

You can read more about us and our projects at: www.scienceinpublic.com

If you're interested, please send me:
·               a few paragraphs on yourself
·               your mix of skills and
·               some examples of your writing.

Thanks
Sarah

Sarah Brooker
Science in Public

26 Railway Street South, Altona VIC 3018 Australia
phone: +613 9398 1416
mobile: +61 413 332 489
sarah at scienceinpublic.com.au
www.scienceinpublic.com <http://www.scienceinpublic.com/>