[ASC-list] Unscientific America--How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens Our Future

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Jul 17 01:24:33 UTC 2009

Dear ASC members,

You may recall Chris Moonie's fantastic plenary at the science
journalists conference in Melbourne where he spoke on biasing scientific
information and the republican war on science in the US.

Now he has a new book. Here's a few words from him about it.

The book is called Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy
Threatens Our Future, and it is coauthored by a young marine scientist
named Sheril Kirshenbaum. You can find much more info at the book
website, pasted here, so I'll be brief:

http://www.unscientificamerica.com

In Unscientific America we explain how religious ideologues,
science-phobic politicians, a profit-driven media, and hyperspecialized
scientists have all helped create a dangerous state of affairs--one in
which we find a vast gap between the world of science and the U.S.
public.

Some alarming facts: For every five hours of cable news, less than a
minute is devoted to science; 46 percent of Americans reject evolution
and think the Earth is less than 10,000 years old; the number of
newspapers with weekly science sections has shrunken by two-thirds in
recent years. The public is polarized over climate change and in
dangerous retreat from childhood vaccinations. Meanwhile, only 18
percent of Americans know a scientist personally; more than half can't
name a living scientist role model.

The book examines the root causes of these disconnects, and proposes a
broad array of initiatives to reverse the current trend, and to bring
about a greater integration of science into our national
discourse--before it's too late.

I'll spare you the reviews or further description; it's all on the
website. But I will say this: Folks sometimes ask how I would prefer
that they buy the book--online, Kindle, bookstore, or what. They also
ask when would be best, timing-wise, to make their purchase.

My answer is that if you can, please drop by your bookstore *in the next
week* and pick up a copy--it should be on display, and if it isn't, ask
them to order more. And here's to a more scientifically literate
America!

Best

Chris Mooney

--

Chris Mooney

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/intersection/

**Now in Stores**: Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy
Threatens Our Future http://www.unscientificamerica.com/

http://twitter.com/UnscientAmerica

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=103423276404

Niall Byrne

Science in Public

26 Railway Street South, Altona Vic 3018

ph +61 (3) 9398 1416 or 0417 131 977

niall at scienceinpublic.com.au <mailto:niall at scienceinpublic.com.au>

Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com
<http://www.scienceinpublic.com/>