[ASC-list] Hot Air - Communicating the Science of Climate Change to government and business - Call for scenario elements

Jenni Metcalfe jenni at econnect.com.au
Fri Jul 17 01:46:59 UTC 2009

Dear colleagues,

In preparation for the Hot Air symposium in Brisbane, we are preparing
scenarios for small groups to address during problem-solving sessions in the
afternoon.  This is a call for ideas to help us in developing scenarios.

And people who complete the scenario survey of 3 questions by FRIDAY 31 JULY
will:

.        Be acknowledged in all publications emerging from the symposium

.        Go in a draw to receive a case of wine of choice or a $150 ABC book
shop voucher

To enter ideas for scenarios click on:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=k1UFxM_2b9Hxj26gTrYMtvaQ_3d_3d

This Hot Air symposium is focussing on solving problems about communicating
the science of climate change to governments and / or business, which may
relate to one of the following questions:

. How do politics and economics affect communicating about climate change
science? What about vested interests?

. Is there a balance between ecological needs and economic needs when
dealing with a changing climate?

. How do you communicate the link between ecology and the economy?

. Can science inform the economy and visa versa?

. Can a carbon emissions trading scheme be based on good science?

. How can scientists be more effective at communicating climate science to
politicians, policy makers, industry leaders and business leaders?

. How can good science be brought into policy discussions about climate
change?

. How can we communicate climate change science with politicians and
industry and business leaders? How can we involve others in that discussion?

And if you want to register for HOT AIR in Brisbane go to:
<http://www.intecol10.org/rego.asp> http://www.intecol10.org/rego.asp. You
can register just for the day of the symposium - Wednesday August 19 -
($460) and ASC members will receive a $100 discount on their registration
fees (email: office at asc.asn.au to apply for refund). Details of program for
the day to be sent to the ASC list soon.

I look forward to receiving your responses.

Regards

Jenni Metcalfe

Director Econnect Communication

PO Box 734