[ASC-list] CSIRO Cutting Edge Lecture - August 3

Claire Pannell claire at scitech.org.au
Mon Jul 20 01:50:19 UTC 2009

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser.<http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=ebe69e3828ff44e6f1e750afa&id=d5d5977024&e=9e281821bf>

[http://gallery.mailchimp.com/ebe69e3828ff44e6f1e750afa/images/CSIROLectureHeader_600P.2.gif]

Keeping teachers up to date with the latest scientific research at CSIRO Plant Industry in Western Australia

CSIRO Plant Industry conducts research to promote profitable and sustainable agrifood, fibre and horticultural industries, develop new plant products and improve natural resource management.
________________________________

Learning from Nature -
improving grain legume adaptation to Mediterranean environments with applied physiology

DR JENS BERGER

This talk will briefly summarise the evolution and domestication of our principal crop species, from wild Mediterranean annuals to their current global distribution, focusing largely on chickpea, one of the world’s most important food legumes.  In the journey from wild plant to domesticated crop, many different habitat types were explored, and this talk will demonstrate how we can make use of this diversity to learn more about adaptation in plants.  In an ever changing world it is becoming increasingly important to understand how our crop plants deal with the environmental stresses encountered in their distribution range, so that we can make recommendations to the plant breeders that are ultimately responsible for our future food security.

Combat tactics employed by plants to protect from microbial and insect invaders

DR JONATHAN ANDERSON

Two of the main problems faced by Western Australia’s large, export oriented grains industry are plant diseases and insect pests. For some diseases and pests, traditional methods of introducing plant resistance are ineffective. In these cases innovative strategies based on an understanding of how plants declare war on invading microbes and insects are required. Dr Anderson will give some recent examples of breakthrough research from the Perth plant biotechnology group that are expanding our knowledge of plant defence mechanisms and how they may be employed to protect crops.

VENUE
CSIRO Centre for Environment and Life Sciences, Underwood Avenue, Floreat

REFRESHMENTS
4.00 pm

LECTURE
4.30-5.30 pm

COST
FREE

BOOKINGS (essential)
9215 0740 or bookings at scitech.org.au

[http://gallery.mailchimp.com/ebe69e3828ff44e6f1e750afa/images/CSIROLectureFooter.1.gif]<http://scitech.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ebe69e3828ff44e6f1e750afa&id=0390b4808c&e=9e281821bf>

You subscribed to this newsletter via our website or by indicating your interest at an event, promotion or on a registration form.

Our mailing address is:
Scitech
PO Box 1155
West Perth
Perth, Western Australia 6872

Add us to your address book<http://scitech.us1.list-manage.com/vcard?u=ebe69e3828ff44e6f1e750afa&id=8423d9fc42>

Copyright (C) 2009 Scitech All rights reserved.

Forward<http://us1.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=ebe69e3828ff44e6f1e750afa&id=d5d5977024&e=9e281821bf> this email to a friend
Update your profile<http://scitech.us1.list-manage.com/profile?u=ebe69e3828ff44e6f1e750afa&id=8423d9fc42&e=9e281821bf>