[ASC-list] ASC Queensland: 5-7 June, Get into Greenfest, Brisbane City Botanical Gardens

Susan.Weir at csiro.au Susan.Weir at csiro.au
Mon Jun 1 21:46:31 UTC 2009

[cid:image002.jpg at 01C9DE19.F61045A0]

WHAT: Greenfest - Community Warmth Can Cool the Planet www.greenfest.com.au<http://www.greenfest.com.au>
                        Presented by Brisbane City Council under its Green Heart CitySmart initiative www.greenheartcitysmart.com.au<http://www.greenheartcitysmart.com.au>

WHERE: City Botanic Gardens, Alice St, Brisbane

WHEN:          Friday                    5 June         12noon to 10pm (World Environment Day)
                        Saturday              6 June         10am to 10pm (Queensland Day)
                        Sunday                 7 June         10am to 5pm

Greenfest, presented by Brisbane City Council, is Australia's largest free, green festival, where our entire community can come together to celebrate what we love about our natural environment, enjoy great music, delicious food and fine coffee, learn about conservation and protecting the planet, see the latest eco-fashions, take a kick boxing or yoga class, as well as entertain the kids with drumming workshops, bungee jumping, interactive art, dance and more.
At Greenfest you'll learn about reducing your environmental footprint through practical changes that apply to everyone, so get into Greenfest and prove that Community Warmth Can Cool the Planet.
Starting on World Environment Day, Greenfest is part of the UNEP Climate Neutral Network and an official Art for the Environment event. This year we're also celebrating Brisbane and Queensland's 150th birthday. Greenfest promotes the best of emerging music talent, along with some established masters, amidst a sea of fresh energy and ideas.
Greenfest director Colman Ridge has confirmed another show-stopping music line-up for 2009 including: Ash Grunwald, Jeff Lang, Tame Impala, The Boat People, Little Scour, Kevin Borich, Hungry Kids of Hungary, Botanics, Rocketsmiths, Mason Rack Band, Marshall and the Fro, Ange Takats, Tim Loydell and the Deckchairs, Mr Laneous and the Family Yah, Pear and the Awkward Orchestra, Banawuran, Golden Sound, 8 Ball Aitken, and more.

Greenfest highlights:

 *   Green Economy Hub - more than 50 'green' innovators will present and run workshops under a colourful circus big top, embracing fresh intellectual capital to invent the world we hope for
 *   Green Heart Zone - Brisbane City Council's hub of 18 CitySmart exhibitions is a one-stop-shop of information and tips for people wanting to adopt simple, cheap and effective ways to save energy and cut down on carbon emissions
 *   Tesla Roadster - the world's fastest, electric car that accelerates from 0-100kph in 3.9sec
 *   Hush Wind Power - new Australian inventor of the year, silent bird friendly 1.5m blade that offers 1.65 KW to residential homes
 *   Eco-Fashion leader Summer Rayne Oakes:  global author and leading model for Eco Fashion
 *   Organic food - and BBQ cooking with Justin North, Australian Chef of the Year
 *   Timeless wisdom - Aboriginal story telling, art and culture
 *   Conservation - learn from informative displays from conservation groups including the Koala Foundation, Save the Bilby, Wildlife Queensland, Wildlife Warriors (Australia Zoo), Sea Shepherd, the Wilderness Society, WWF and many more
 *   Workshops - diverse topics for a diverse community including practical recycling with Life Line to a comprehensive explanation of the CPRS
 *   Healthy Life: Healthy Planet -  local organic food, fitness and fun including yoga, organic food, kick boxing, footy skills, interactive art, and workshops to help you get healthy
 *   Kids Zone - drumming workshops, bungee jumping, interactive art, dance and more.

Greenfest is a carbon-neutral event that meets current best-practice by using green power, low-energy lighting, minimising waste, recycling, eco-printing, carbon offsetting and fair-trade uniforms.
People coming to Greenfest are encouraged to 'lose the car' and travel by bus, train or bicycle. Go to our website to download the full program and plan your visit:  www.greenfest.com.au<http://www.greenfest.com.au>