[ASC-list] Science Communicators: drinks in the city, Tuesday 23 June

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Mon Jun 22 02:14:55 UTC 2009

Dear ASC-ers,

Join the city's science communicators in the city for a drink tomorrow night, Three Degrees Bar, QV square, free drink and canapés.

And coming up next month: a look at quantum reality.

I'm writing to you as someone with an interest in science communication in Victoria. If you do not wish to receive these updates on science communication events happening in Victoria, please let me know.

These bulletins are also available as an rss feed from http://www.scienceinpublic.com/blog/category/bulletins/asc

You can also sign up to the Australian Science Communicator's email discussion list at www.asc.asn.au

In this bulletin:

Science Centric: A meet-up for science communicators - Tuesday 23 June

Quantum reality - Tuesday 21 July

Coming up: print & design, docos, TV producers and more

ASC Victoria committee

Media training

Join the ASC

Kind regards,
Niall

ASC Victoria President

________________________________

Science Centric: A meet-up for science communicators - Tuesday 23 June

Come and meet other science communicators over free food and drink!

Do you explain, teach, present, write, blog, twitter, film, illustrate, animate or otherwise communicate science or technology, news, ideas, concepts or research?

First drink free. Free canapes.

Tuesday 23 June, 6 - 9pm

Three Degrees Bar + Brewery

Number One QV Square, Corner Lonsdale St & Swanston St

ASC members free. $10 non-members.

Discounted ASC memberships available on the night.

RSVP: science_centric at imthinking.com.au

Quantum reality - Tuesday 21 July

Explore the strange and beautiful world of quantum mechanics - multiple realities, absolute uncertainty, many-worlds, quantum teleportation, quantum computing, and other generally spooky stuff of the Universe.

Our guest speaker Lloyd Hollenberg is a quantum theorist in the School of Physics at the University of Melbourne. He is an ARC Professorial Fellow and also the program manager for Quantum Device Modelling & Algorithms within the ARC Centre of Excellence for Quantum Computing Technology.

If that isn't complex enough, Lloyd has spoken across Australia and overseas on topics as diverse as quantum physics, quarks and gluons, and the acoustics of the didgeridoo.