[ASC-list] Is Science Communication Ending - Or Is there a New Dawn? -- PODCAST NOW AVAILABLE

Will Rifkin willrifkin at unsw.edu.au
Tue Mar 10 00:44:43 UTC 2009

Is Science Communication Ending - Or Is there a New Dawn?

The podcast for this roundtable discussion is now available:

http://lectopia.elearning.unsw.edu.au/ilectures/ilectures.lasso?
ut=1456&id=47136

This link is publicly accessible with QuickTime 56K and Windows Media
56K and podcasting capabilities.

------ original blurb ------

Around the world, science journos and film makers are being 'let go.'
At CNN, the ABC, the BBC, newspapers everywhere.

Robyn Williams wrote a book about this prospect in 1996: 'Normal
Service Won't Be Resumed'. The prophecies are being fulfilled right
now.

But science must be fundamental to the solving of our manifest global
problems, from innovation to conservation and the building of a
science literacy underpinning both.

Nicky Phillips, who's spent a year at the ABC Science Unit producing
and presenting programs, has a unique (young) perspective on how we now
report science and how the younger audience she represents may be
reached more effectively.

Robyn Williams joined the ABC so long ago (1972) that men were still
walking on the moon.

How do their very different perspectives mesh or clash about our
challenging future?

This roundtable discussion is hosted by the Science Communication
Program (SCOM) of the Faculty of Science at the University of New
South Wales.  SCOM is home of the World-Wide Day in Science, 'OnSET'
online magazine, and the Museum Without Walls.

Date & Time:  Thursday, 5 March, 12noon-2pm

Location:  UNSW, Kensington campus, Mathews building, room 104.

Will

William D Rifkin, PhD
Director, Science Communication Program
Faculty of Science, BSB-BABS