[ASC-list] Media training: places available this Thurs, Melbourne

Sarah Brooker sarah at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Mar 10 02:37:19 UTC 2009

Dear all,

We have a few places available in our next media and communication
training course this Thursday in Melbourne. The course is for scientists
and anyone who needs to communicate complex and technical ideas via the
media.

ASC members receive a 10% discount.

Our next courses are: Tuesday 7 April, Tuesday 5 May and Tuesday 9 June
2009.

I've included more information below. If you have any questions or would
like to book a place in the course, please contact me on 03 9398 1416 or
sarah at scienceinpublic.com.au

Kind regards,
Sarah

Sarah Brooker

____________

Science in Public

26 Railway Street South, Altona VIC  3018 Australia

ph: +613 9398 1416

mobile: +61 413 332 489

sarah at scienceinpublic.com.au

www.scienceinpublic.com

Media and communication training for scientists

These one-day training workshops focus on science and scientists.

The workshop will help you create and present a compelling view of your
research to the media, the public and your stakeholders.

It will help you improve the chances of being accurately reported, and
to understand what to expect when the media covers a story. All
participants are involved in practice interviews with working
journalists.

The workshop has evolved over the years, and now includes a strong
emphasis on how to shape your story to suit the media and your other
audiences.

Tim Thwaites (freelance science writer and broadcaster) and I will
present the course. We concentrate on how to extract the essence of your
story and how to work with the media to get the story across. This
contrasts with the adversarial approach of much corporate media
training.

Three working journalists will join us in the course of the day to talk
about newspapers, radio and TV, and conduct practice interviews.
Journalists we have used in the past have included Gerard Scholten from
Channel Ten, Dina Rosendorf from the Herald Sun and Donna Demaio from
3AW news.

Previous participants tell us that after the course they feel more
prepared not just for media interviews, but also for other presentations
to stakeholders, customers and the public.

This workshop is a modified version of the courses developed by our
colleagues at Econnect Communication and is licensed from them.

Each course is limited to 12 participants.

Upcoming dates:

 - Thursday 12 March 2009

 - Tuesday 7 April 2009

 - Tuesday 5 May 2009

 - Tuesday 9 June 2009

Time:

Start at 9.30am, finish by 5pm

Venue:

Redback Brewery Hotel (upstairs), 75 Flemington Road, North Melbourne

Cost:

$650 + GST per person

Morning and afternoon tea and lunch will be provided.

Who:

The courses are suitable for anyone attempting to communicate complex,
evidence-based ideas via the media - scientists, engineers,
technologists and others.

This practical workshop will help you:

*         know what to expect when the media does a story

*         practise your interview techniques with working journalists

*         get your message out as accurately as possible

Specific topics include:

*         understanding what makes a good story on TV, radio or in print

*         interview practice with working journalists

*         taking control of the media agenda

*         making the big announcement

*         knowing what to do when a journalist knocks on your door

*         handling the more difficult questions

*         writing a good media release

To book yourself, or members of your organisation, into one of these
courses, please email Niall on niall at scienceinpublic.com.au or Sarah on
sarah at scienceinpublic.com.au We will then send you some more specific
details.

For more information please call me on (03) 9398 1416. There is also a
flyer about the course online at
www.scienceinpublic.com/mediatraining.htm