[ASC-list] NSW branch AGM + shedding light on dark matter

Tilly Boleyn tilly at tillyboleyn.com.au
Tue Mar 10 03:42:59 UTC 2009

*NSW ASC branch AGM + shedding light on dark matter and dark energy
Tuesday March 17 from 6pm
Location: Hotel CLARENDON - 156 Devonshire St, Surry Hills
RSVP: By March 13 - directly to: tilly at tillyboleyn.com.au*

A short AGM will be held from 6pm followed by an informative talk about dark
matter and energy by the wondeful Dr Phil Dooley.

Come along and mingle with your fellow science communicators/ journalists/
and all other science buffs.
Nibbles and a welcome drink will be provided to ASC members at 6pm. Non
members welcome too!

*More information on what to expect next Tuesday.....*

*Shedding light on the darkness: Dark Matter and Dark Energy*

Modern Astronomy is in crisis. In the last thirty years we have realised
that what we thought we knew of the universe is only the tip of the iceberg.
Current opinion is that we only know only 4% of what's there, 96% of the
universe is missing, named Dark Matter and Dark Energy. But no one really
knows what these things are.

Join Dr Phil Dooley, Science Communicator for the School of Physics at the
University of Sydney as we discuss International Year of Astronomy questions
such as: How do we know that we don't know what's there?  How do we know as
much as we do about things so very far away? And how do you write about a
topic when the experts don't have a definitive answer, and every month
brings more outlandish theories published in the journals.
*
REMINDER: NSW COMMITTEE OPPORTUNITY*
The NSW branch would love more people to get involved on our committee. The
committee’s main responsibility is organising networking and professional
development events for ASC members in NSW. Positions include:

-  President
-  Secretary
-  Treasurer
-  Web liason
-  Event producers
-  National ASC representative
-  General committee members

If you're interested in getting involved please feel free to give me a call.
The committee is full of interesting people and it's a great way to increase
your experience or flex your event-managing muscle.

Regards,
Tilly
Tilly Boleyn
ABC Science Online