[ASC-list] Fwd: Seeking Freelance Scriptwriters for Educational Videos

Kali Madden office at asc.asn.au
Wed May 20 04:49:48 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eu-Hua Chua - VEA <euhuac at vea.com.au>
Date: Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:48 PM
Subject: Seeking Freelance Scriptwriters for Educational Videos
To: Sarah Brooker <sarah at scienceinpublic.com.au>
Cc: web at asc.asn.au

 Dear Sarah,

It was nice to meet you in person at last night’s ASC panel – it was an
excellent line-up and a good night out!

The company I’m currently working for, VEA, is hoping to expand its database
of freelance scriptwriters, specifically seeking writers with a background
in science communication.  Tiki Swain has written for us in the past and
suggested I contact the ASC about this.  I’ve just included a short notice
below - could you kindly post this on in the ASC-list?

I will be leaving VEA on June 5, which is why it might be better for this
notice to be posted without my name or contact details.

Thank you very, hope to see you around at another event,

Best regards

Eu-Hua

­­­­­

*VIDEO EDUCATION AUSTRALASIA*

*Seeking Freelance Scriptwriters for Educational Videos*

* *

We are looking to expand our freelance scriptwriters’ database.  We are
particularly interested in writers with a background in science (physics,
chemistry and biology) and/or with experience in science writing and
communication.  Experience in screenwriting or filmmaking is not essential,
but would be highly regarded.**

VEA is Australia’s largest producer of educational DVDs, and one of the most
prolific dedicated educational production houses in the world.  Through VEA
and associated labels, Classroom Video and Training Point, approximately 150
programs are produced every year by the company, covering all areas of
primary and secondary curricula, as well as a number of TAFE and tertiary
areas.  Since November 2007, we have also been producing programs for the
corporate training sector.  Our programs are sold throughout Australia, and
into the USA, UK and New Zealand.

* *

*Role and Responsibilities*

-          To write scripts for educational video programs (each 25 mins or
2500 words), based on a written program brief created by an educational
consultant

-          To carry out research, based on curriculum links and suggested
resources outlined in the program brief

-          To work with producers in realizing the brief: to break down
information into easily understandable forms, employing creative and
engaging approaches

-          To work across various genres if required: to write narrated,
presenter-led, dramatized or interview-based scripts as the program dictates

-          To prepare interview questions and transcribe interviews for
interview-based programs

*How to Apply*

Please send a cover letter, resume and an example of your written work to
Simon Garner, Executive Producer (simong at vea.com.au).

Following your application, you may then be invited to write a short
introduction to a VEA program (no more than 300 words) based on VEA’s
writing guidelines and a sample brief provided to you.

Eu-Hua Chua

Producer

VEA Group Pty Ltd

*Bringing Learning to Life*

Melbourne Production Unit

316 – 328 Napier St

Fitzroy VIC 3065

Australia

Ph:   +61 3 8415 1995

Fax: +61 3 8415 1974

Mob:+61 403 439 565

Email: euhuac at vea.com.au

ABN: 50 007 156 318

*VEA*

*www.vea.com.au*

*Classroom Video*

*www.classroomvideo.com.au*

*Classroom Video Ltd*

*www.classroomvideo.co.uk*

*Training Point*

*www.trainingpoint.net*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE*

*This message contains confidential and/or proprietary material owned by
Video Education Australasia, and is intended only for the addressed named
individual(s). The information contained in this message may not be copied
or distributed without express written consent by an officer of the company.
If the information contained in this email is communicated under a
confidentiality or non-disclosure agreement with Video Education
Australasia, this email should be considered written communication for the
purposes of those agreements. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail
if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail and
related information from your system.*

--
------------------------------

Kali Madden
Email: kali.madden at gmail.com

Australian Science Communicators
Membership and Web
http://www.asc.asn.au/

Communications and Outreach

Centre for Ultrahigh-bandwidth Devices for Optical Systems (CUDOS)
Macquarie University/University of Sydney
http://www.cudos.org.au/

Australian National Fabrication Facility Ltd (ANFF)
OptoFab Node
http://www.anff.org.au/