[ASC-list] Western Australia - Women In Physics Public Lecture

Emma Donnelly e.donnelly at curtin.edu.au
Fri May 22 07:43:32 UTC 2009

Public Lecture:

Title: To planets or just to the shops, Plasmas pave the path

Speaker: Associate Professor Christine Charles

Abstract: Plasmas have existed since the very first moments of the Universe.
It is the stuff of stars. It fills the space between stars. It gives us the
beautiful northern and southern aurorae. Our houses have plasma TV displays,
plasma lights (fluorescent tubes). Everywhere we look, there is plasma. But
we stand on solid earth and the solid-state accounts for less than one
percent of the total mass of the Universe. The rest is plasma, a hot ionised
gas containing positive and negative charges (except, perhaps, for dark
matter). By properly harnessing the plasma state we can make microchips for
computers, we can make plasma engines (thrusters) to get to the planets, and
we can make fuel cells to take people just down to the shops. The discovery
in Australia of a current-free electric double layer (a waterfall of
electrical energy that energises charged particles falling through it) in a
laboratory plasma is the basis of a new space engine: the Australian Helicon
Double Layer Thruster.

Biography: Christine Charles is Associate Professor at the Australian
National University. She has a French Engineering degree in applied physics,
a French Masters in materials science, a French PhD in plasma physics, a
French Habilitation thesis in materials science and a Bachelor of Music
degree in Jazz from the ANU (she has made a CD of Breton fusion music). For
the past twenty years, she has been working on expanding plasmas and their
applications to electric propulsion, microelectronics and optoelectronics,
astrophysical objects, and, more recently, to the development of fuel cells
for the hydrogen economy. She is the inventor of the Helicon Double Layer
Thruster, a new electrode-less magneto-plasma thruster, that has
applications including satellite station keeping or interplanetary space
travel. The thruster concept is based on her discovery in 1999 of the
current-free double layer in an expanding radiofrequency plasma. The new
Australian Thruster concept has attracted worldwide media coverage and has
been the basis of many Television Shows (e.g. ABC Catalyst 2004 and 2007,
Discovery Channel Canada 2008, ABC 2 Space Show 2007). She enjoys playing
music, surfing, canoeing, cycling and bushwalking.