[ASC-list] Open media skills workshop in Brisbane Monday November 30 - registrants welcome

Jenni Metcalfe jenni at econnect.com.au
Tue Nov 3 03:18:17 UTC 2009

Econnect Communication is conducting an open 'Talking science with the
media' training workshop in Brisbane on the 30th November. This course helps
scientists, researchers, engineers and technologists to communicate complex,
evidence-based ideas via the media. The presenters will be Jenni Metcalfe
and Toss Gascoigne.

Jenni and Toss were the first to develop media training specifically for
scientists in Australia and we have been running these courses for more than
17 years throughout Australia and overseas. More detailed information on the
courses can be found on our website at
<http://www.econnect.com.au/ws_media.htm>
http://www.econnect.com.au/ws_media.htm.

This one-day workshop will help you understand the life of the journalist
and what makes a good story for TV, radio, print and online.  You will
discover how best to get information about your research out to your chosen
audience as accurately as possible, via that media.  You will learn what to
expect when the media covers a story and be given skills in how to be on the
front foot with interviews. We concentrate on designing clear messages that
suit the needs of scientists for accuracy, but are also meet the needs of
journalists. All participants will experience practice interviews with
working journalists.  These interviews are recorded and participants receive
individual feedback and A DVD to keep for future reflection.

We employ three working journalists to assist us on the day, one from each
media, TV, radio and print/online. Some of the journalists we regularly use
in our Brisbane workshops are Neil Doorley, Nine News; Mark Suleau, Network
10; David Salmon, Channel 7; Alex Bernard, 4BC; Natalie Bochenski, 4BC;
Brian Williams, Courier Mail; and Lisa Yallamas, Courier Mail online.

The course is limited to 10 participants and positions are allocated on a
first in basis - places will be allocated upon receipt of payment.  When you
have registered by email, we will send you our bank account details so you
can transfer your payment.  (Unfortunately, we do not have credit card
facilities)