[ASC-list] ACT - Stem Cells at the Pub (22 Nov) + Canberra AGM (1 Dec)

Joanna.Savill at csiro.au Joanna.Savill at csiro.au
Thu Nov 5 10:38:16 UTC 2009

Hi ACT ASCers,

2 events are coming up, hope to see you there!

1.
Stem Cells at the Pub:

Whether the story is about promises of groundbreaking cures, allegations of scientific fraud or warnings of ethical dilemmas, stem cell research makes headlines and sparks debate. How does the media shape the public's perceptions of stem cells and scientists? Is the promise of stem cells over-hyped? Who is responsible for keeping the story straight?

Canberra Labor Club, Civic, 16 Petrie Plaza,
Sunday 22 November  7pm for 7.30pm start

Panel includes
Professor Alan Trounson - President of the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine
Simon Grose - Canberra Correspondent, Science Media

This event is free and open to the public. Seats are limited so rsvp to 0402710943 or [asccanberra at gmail.com].
Presented by the Australasian Society for Stem Cell Research (http://www.asscr.org/) and the Australian Science Communicators (http://www.asc.asn.au/)

----
2.

Notice of ASC ACT branch AGM

Tuesday 1 December, 6pm
King O'Malley's 'snug' room
free entry, nibblies provided, drinks available from the bar

Agenda items include:

- Discussion of the ASC's future at the local level: What do members want? Who would like to be involved?
- Call for nominations for the new committee. Committee will include required office bearers (president , treasurer, national liaison (which can be combined with the other positions)) and the 'brains trust'. The brains trust is made up of interested people who may like to provide feedback, get involved at different points, or simply just be kept informed of internal ASC ACT brains trust discussions. What do you think? If you would like to be on the 'brains trust', or take on an official role, please let me know before the meeting so I can provide you with more information on the roles.

- Reports from the president and treasurer
- Update on the National Conference, to be held in Canberra in February.

If you cannot make the meeting, please send your proxy vote to me or another member who is attending so we have a quorum.

Jo Savill
ASC ACT branch
jo.savill at gmail.com
0410996158