[ASC-list] PERTH: Media Skills Workshop with Geraldine Mellet and Nancy Longnecker

longneck at cyllene.uwa.edu.au longneck at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 12 14:53:03 UTC 2009

Media Skills Workshop

The University of Western Australia,  Crawley, WA

9am to 5pm on December 4 & 11, 2009

Have you ever wondered

What makes a media friendly story?
Why doesn’t the story look like the information I provided?
Why do I feel at the media’s mercy?

This two-day Media Skills Workshop will help you:
* increase your confidence in working with the media,
* understand factors affecting successful media outcomes and
* define your message.

During this Media Skills Workshop you will:
* learn how to prepare yourself for interviews,
* be interviewed on your topic by an experienced journalist,
* receive extensive feedback from an experienced journalist,
* use the feedback in subsequent workshop interviews and
* receive a record of your interviews.

Contributors to previous workshops have included Geraldine Mellet
(radio and television broadcaster), Babs McHugh (ABC Rural - resources
reporter), Miriam Borthwick (television news and current affairs
journalist and media consultant), Janine MacDonald (print journalist
and UWA media manager) and Danielle Barrass (ABC radio).

Maximum workshop size is 12 participants.

Cost for two-day workshop is $600 +GST  includes tuition, materials,
morning and afternoon tea, lunches and CD of interviews.

To register interest or for further information, contact:
Sophia Bickford <bickfs01 at student.uwa.edu.au>

What have previous participants said?
"A really enlightening two days- informative, confronting and
confidence building!"   Kim Cooper, Country Services Coordinator,
Western Power Corporation

"Viewing myself again reminded me of what a huge difference there was
between take one and take two. So thank you for assisting me to make
that positive shift."   Jacqueline McNally, Decisions and Designs Pty
Ltd

"I found the course was really useful and learnt how to engage both
the media and their audiences with my topic."  Jill StJohn, Research
Scientist, Department of Fisheries

Associate Professor Nancy Longnecker
Science Communication Program
Faculty of Life and Physical Sciences (M011)
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley, WA 6009
T 08 6488 3926