[ASC-list] ASC Vic Bulletin: Fires, films and finding out where you came from

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Sun Nov 15 23:54:05 UTC 2009

Dear Vic ASC-ers,

Summer is fast approaching and with it the renewed threat of bushfire.

Nine months on, Black Saturday is very fresh in the public memory. Join
us for an expert panel discussion on communicating science in the
emotionally charged environment of a bushfire and its aftermath.

We're also calling for science communication papers for the February
2010 ASC National congress, and promoting some big events including the
World Congress of Science and Factual Producers, the Genographic
Project's Melbourne results event and the Victorian ASC's Christmas
party.

In this bulletin:

Bushfire Science: communicating in an emotionally charged environment

ASC National Conference 2010: 8-10 February ANU, Canberra

ASC National Conference 2010: Call for papers

The Journey of Humanity-from African origins to life in a warming world,
6 December

World Congress of Science and Factual Producers coming to Melbourne

World Congress of Science and Factual Producers public events

A Very ASC VIC Christmas

Medical Writers: Xmas, networking and a conversation on "writing for the
consumer "

Science in Public media training

Welcome to our newest VIC members

Join the ASC (and check out our revamped website)

ASC Victoria committee

Kind regards,
Niall

ASC Victoria President

If you do not wish to receive these updates on science communication
events happening in Victoria, please let me know.  These emails are also
available as an rss feed from
http://www.scienceinpublic.com/blog/category/bulletins/asc

You can also sign up to the Australian Science Communicator's email
discussion list at www.asc.asn.au

Bushfire Science: communicating in an emotionally charged environment

6.45 for 7pm, Tuesday 17 November 2009

Clare Castle Hotel, 421 Rathdowne St, Carlton [NOTE OUR NEW VENUE]

Using the Black Saturday bushfires as a case study, three panellists
will discuss the role of scientists, science communicators, and the
media in communicating science in an emotionally charged environment,
and provide an insight into how those caught up in the bushfires viewed
the media attention.

The panel will be made up of:

*         Kevin Hennessy (CSIRO climate scientist)

*         Steve Varga (Wandong resident, appeared on SBS Insight and an
ABC documentary at www.abc.net.au/innovation/blacksaturday/people/steve)

*         John Ferguson (Herald Sun journalist)

Free for members, $10 for non-members, $5 for non-member students
Meals and drinks at bar prices.
RSVP: meg.rive at csiro.au (as we're trialling a new venue ,RSVPs would be
enormously helpful- especially if you are hoping to eat)

ASC National Conference 2010: 8-10 February ANU, Canberra

The ASC Conference will be held at the Australian National University in
Canberra February 8 - 10.

We already have a strong draft program, built around social media,
communicating complex issues, science communicating and the Arts and the
latest science communication research.

Conference registration will open soon and we will announce our key
speakers at that time.

Of course, the main attraction will be meeting and talking with other
communicators, and there will be plenty of opportunity to do so during
the conference proper and at the associated social events

Keep checking the ASC website <http://asc.asn.au/> (asc.asn.au) and the
ASC mailing lists for the latest information.

ASC National Conference 2010: Call for papers

A segment of the conference devoted to hearing about and discussing the
latest research on Science Communication.

The ASC president has now put out a call for research papers. The call
is open to anyone involved in science communication research--attached
to a university or not. All papers will be assessed on their merits.

Full details:
http://www.asc.asn.au/2009/10/ascnatconf2010-call-for-papers/

Deadline: 7 December 2009

The Journey of Humanity-from African origins to life in a warming world,
6 December

Discover Melburnians' deep ancestry and the journey of humanity from
African origins to life in a warming world.

Join Tim Costello, Bert Roberts, Victoria's Governor David de Kretser,
David Karoly, National Geographic's Spencer Wells and others for a day
exploring human evolution.

The day starts with a free public forum.

In October a thousand Melburnians queued up to participate in the
Genographic Project. The first hundred received a free analysis of their
deep ancestry. Spencer Wells, the global leader of the Genographic
Project, will report back on the results. This free forum at the
University of Melbourne will be followed by a public 'Open University'
style afternoon looking at the journey humanity has taken from its roots
in Africa and what the future holds.

The afternoon forum costs $80 including lunch.

The afternoon's speakers are:

*      Bert Roberts shares his experiences with the recently discovered
"Hobbit", a new species of human

*      Janet McCalman explains what science and genealogy can tell about
convicts in Australia and aboriginal populations in Victoria

*      Tim Costello discusses the global community and the impact of
environmental and economic challenges on the third world

*      David Karoly outlines the changes to our world environment
resulting from climate change

*      Philip Batterham explores what we know of the human genome and
how we may be able to direct our own evolution and future

*      Chris Darwin, descendant of Charles Darwin, scientist David de
Kretser, Governor of Victoria, and Robert Saint, Dean of the Faculty of
Science at the University of Melbourne, will join Janet McCalman and
Bert Roberts for a panel discussion.

Booking is essential for both sessions.

For more information, and tickets go to http://www.humanjourneys.com.au/

World Congress of Science and Factual Producers coming to Melbourne

The World Congress of Science and Factual Producers (WCSFP) is THE
must-attend gathering for producers, broadcasters and distributors
working in factual television and this year it's here in Melbourne
December 1 - 4, 2009.

Full details including registration information can be found here:
http://wcsfp.com/

World Congress of Science and Factual Producers public events

Usually those outside the industry miss out on the World Congress of
Science and Factual Producers (WCSFP) but not this time. This year the
WCSFP will open its doors to the public on Friday, December 4 at the
Grand Hyatt Melbourne for:

*         Understanding the Human Brain 9.30 -10:30 am
ABC Science broadcaster Robyn Williams and special Congress guest -
renowned brain researcher, author and Fellow of the Royal Institute,
Baroness Susan Greenfield look at the history of brain research. More
for:
http://wcsfp.com/index.php/2009/popup/event/understanding_the_human_brai
n/

*         Ripping Yarns 11am -noon
Five scientists and historians reveal their stories: see what it takes
to grab the attention of the world's TV producers. More for:
http://wcsfp.com/index.php/2009/popup/event/ripping_yarns/

*         We Are Family! 1.30-3.30pm
Dr. Spencer Wells will discuss The Genographic Project and the making of
the National Geographic TV documentary The Family Tree with ABC TV &
Radio presenters Adam Spencer and Dr. Karl, also known as the "Sleek
Geeks". More for:
http://wcsfp.com/index.php/2009/popup/event/we_are_family/

A Very ASC VIC Christmas

It's beginning to look a lot like a celebration to mark the Northern
hemisphere winter solstice subsequently co-opted by the Romans and the
early Christian church.

Anyway Christmas time is a time of family, community and even ASC
togetherness. Join us for A Very ASC VIC Christmas where we examine
"Human-powered propulsion of flattened spheroids across a surface of
synthetic angiosperms" or as we'd communicate it to the public: lawn
bowls.

7.30pm Thursday 10 Dec 2009
Fitzroy Bowls Club
http://bit.ly/fitzbowlsmap

Bowling is from 8.30-10.30pm We'll have 3 rinks/lanes and that'll mean
24 people can bowl comfortably. More if we timeshare.

Cost $15 per head (for those who wish to bowl)
We'll hire a bbq and ASC will cover cost for simple bbq fare (bread,
salad, sausages)
Drinks at bar prices

RSVP to james at scienceinpublic.com.au  (we need a good idea of numbers by
1 December)

Medical Writers: Xmas, networking and a conversation on "writing for the
consumer"

Join the Victorian members of AMWA for Christmas drinks and an evening
of networking.

Featuring a conversation on writing for the consumer with Dr Cal Miller,
Director, Mi-tec Medical Publishing, and Fiona Landgren, Director,
Communicating for Health and Project Health.

Cal and Fiona will discuss:

*            What constitutes successful communication in this genre

*            Different areas of consumer writing

*            How writing for the consumer differs from other types of
medical writing

Tuesday 1 December 2009 @ 6.30 p.m.

New venue: Royal Melbourne Hotel, 629 Bourke St, Melbourne (just off
Spencer St. near Southern Cross Station)

Admission is free for AMWA members, $10 for non-members. Drinks and
meals at pub prices

RSVP for numbers to L.E. Ohman: le at medicalwriters.org or Jacinta Miller:
membership at medicalwriters.org

For more on the Australasian Medical Writers Association check their
website: www.medicalwriters.org

Science in Public media training

We (Science in Public) are holding media training courses for scientists
in Melbourne on

*         Wednesday 18 November 2009,

*         Tuesday 8 December 2009 and

*         Thursday 21 January 2010

We are also planning courses in Sydney and Canberra:

*         Sydney - November /December 2009 Date TBC and

*         Canberra - November /December 2009 Date TBC

Details are available at www.scienceinpublic.com.au/blog/training. A
discount is available for ASC financial members.

Welcome to ASC's newest VIC members

Hello, good evening and welcome to new ASC Vic members:

*         Rebecca Skinner:  Senior Manager , Communications and
Networking- Australian Stem Cell Centre

*         Brooke Manly: Communications Officer - CSIRO Minerals

*         Alexandra Roginski: Communications Manager, Faculty of
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences at Monash

*         Ayan Dasvarma: Project Officer, NHMRC Centre for Clinical
Research Excellence in Clinical Science in Diabetes

*         Vivien Lee: PhD student, Experimental Particle Physics at
University of Melbourne

*         Sonja Mennen: Communications Officer, CSIRO Land and Water

Join the ASC (and check out our revamped website)

We need your membership to help build ASC as a true national
organisation for people with an interest in science communication.

Visit our revamped website at www.asc.asn.au for membership information,
how to join the ASC's mailing lists and more science social media than
you can point a mouse at.

If this message has been forwarded to you and you would like to receive
future bulletins then please email me at niall at scienceinpublic.com.au

ASC Victoria committee

These sessions are organised by the volunteer ASC Victoria committee. If
you are interested in being involved in the committee please contact Meg
Rive at meg.rive at csiro.au. We will be holding our AGM shortly where it's
your chance to get involved.

Right now, your committee is:

*         Niall Byrne: President

*         Jason Major: Treasurer

*         Meg Rive: Regional representative on the national ASC board

*         L.E. Ohman

*         Ian Muchamore

*         James Hutson

*         Laura Miles