[ASC-list] Job ad: Deputy Editor, COSMOS magazine (deadline correction)
Wilson da Silva
wfdasilva at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 22:22:39 UTC 2009
Further to this advert: please note correction: *DEADLINE is Monday 30
*Deputy Editor, COSMOS*
*COSMOS, Australia's #1 science media brand in print and online, seeks a
Launched in 2005, COSMOS is a stylish magazine of breadth and ambition,
covering science for a general audience. It is literary in its journalism,
global in scope and visually lush.
COSMOS reaches 400,000 people every month through a bi-monthly print
magazine, a daily online news service, and a weekly email newsletter. It's
the winner of 35 awards, including the 2009 Magazine of the Year at the
Publishers Australia Awards.
Reporting directly to the Editor, the role will help influence the shape of
COSMOS, developing story ideas, dealing with freelance writers, and
maintaining the high standard of journalism for which it is renowned. The
Deputy also acts as Editor of Cosmos Online, Australia's #1 science news
website, and *Cosmos Update*, the weekly email newsletter.
The right applicant will be an intelligent self-starter with a talent for
writing and a passion for science. They will be a team player who is not
afraid of getting his/her hands dirty. Familiar with the Internet, blogs,
and social media, she/he will be confident in cyberspace. A degree in
science would be an advantage.
Based in stylish offices in inner-Sydney Chippendale, the COSMOS team is
friendly, enthusiastic and keen to excel. Being a small and innovative
publishing house, you can contribute directly to the development and success
of the magazine and the company.
• Work closely with the Editor, developing story leads and ideas
• Research, commission and edit articles
• Manage day-to-day operations of the www.cosmosmagazine.com
• Assist in managing workflow
• Deal with freelance writers
• Assist with picture research
• Represent COSMOS at events
• Deputise for Editor in his absence
• A self-starter with excellent organisational skills
• Reliable, responsible, with a strong work ethic
• An elegant writer who loves quality journalism and is brimming with ideas
• Previous magazine, newswire or newspaper experience
• Can meet multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment
• Has a passion for science and good journalism
• Is familiar with the online medium
• Has a friendly attitude and is a team player
• Minimum of 2 years' experience as a journalist in a magazine or other
Salary range: $50,000 to $68,000 incl. super, depending on experience.
*This is not an entry-level position. You must show examples of your
previous work and show that you can handle the challenge of a fast-paced
If you meet the above requirements, please apply in writing with ...
1) a detailed cover letter explaining why you want the job
2) a CV
3) writing samples to the address below.
Applications failing to comply with the three points above will not be
*Deputy Editor position
Attention: The Editor, COSMOS
PO Box 302
Strawberry Hills NSW 2012*
OR email your application to jobs-at-cosmosmagazine.com
*Ad also at cosmosmagazine.com <http://jobs-at-cosmosmagazine.com>/jobs*
*DEADLINE: Monday 30 November 2009*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ASC-list