[ASC-list] WA - International Year of Astronomy, Event, 28 Nov 09

Sarah Lau SLau at chemcentre.wa.gov.au
Wed Oct 14 08:23:52 UTC 2009

Posted on behalf of Pete Wheeler, ICRAR:

When: Saturday 28 November 2009

Where: Curtin Stadium, Curtin University, Bentley WA

More information: files.me.com/pete_wheeler/x62mdw,
http://www.astronomywa.net.au/

Saturday November 28th is 'Astrofest', an astronomical extravaganza for
the International Year of Astronomy. This event will take place at
Curtin Stadium & Edinburgh Oval and will feature a range of interesting
and engaging activities for anyone and everyone to enjoy whether they're
'astro-nerds' or 'cosmic-newbies'.

There'll be;
- Science shows
- Hands-on activities
- Rocketry, competitions
- Space Domes (inflatable planetariums)
and even a 'Moonwalker' bungee ride.

Plus! Science talks given by local astronomers, stalls and displays from
local societies, groups, organisations and Universities, an
Astrophotography exhibition, daytime observing of the Sun, Moon and
Jupiter with optical and radio telescopes, a special presentation called
'Pluto and the Ueber-nerds' given by Professor Fred Watson of the
Anglo-Australian Observatory and finally a look at the West Australian
night sky through scopes of every shape and size imaginable...

As part of the lead up to Astrofest we also have a number of fun
competitions with great prizes happening right now. We have an
Astrophotography competition for the enthusiast (flyer:
files.me.com/pete_wheeler/74r14z)  as well as an Astro Art & Model
Building competition for school aged students and 'Big Kid's' (adults)
(flyer: files.me.com/pete_wheeler/z3vjai). See flyers for more details
and if you're keen then please get involved.

We value 'word of mouth' enormously in making this event successful so
please make a mental note of the details to mention to your friends and
family, and if possible send this email on to colleagues and friends.

Thank You!
Pete

Pete Wheeler

Outreach and Education Manager

International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research

http://www.astronomywa.net.au/