[ASC-list] Perth; UWA Science Communication Seminar- 11 September 2009

longneck at cyllene.uwa.edu.au longneck at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 7 02:22:06 UTC 2009

UWA SCIENCE COMMUNICATION SEMINAR SERIES- 11th September 2009

This week we have two speakers.  Kathryn Abbott and Hema Rajandran will be
speaking on their experiences while on Practicum for the units COMM3318/
COMM3317 Science Communication Practicum.

Kathryn Abbott is a Masters of Science Communication and Education student
currently doing her Practicum (for both COMM3318 and COMM3317) at CSIRO,
Land and Water Division, Floreat.

I am discovering what professional science communicators do in a large
research organization.  Science Communicators at CSIRO must translate
complex scientific language in to everyday language for a variety of target
audiences.  In addition, they must be quick to spot opportunities for
promotion of a scientist's work and be multi-talented.  They may be called
upon to do photography, graphic design, write press releases and profile
scientists.  They will also organise entire communication strategies for
important projects, as well as running workshops and seminars.  It can be
challenging in that scientists do not like having their work "dumbed down"
and will try to re-write your sentences using the very complex language you
were avoiding in the first place.

Hema Rajandran is currently in her final semester of the Post Graduate
Certificate in Science Communication.

The "Write" Stuff.  Growing up my passion was writing but an interest in
science led me down a different path.  The science communication course has
been the perfect marriage of the two fields.

Having a biomedical background has provided a strong foundation for
interpreting the research that is currently being undertaken at UWA.  This
has been my area of interest and would like for it to have a higher profile.
It is important to be able to share this knowledge and break through the
stereotype of science being boring.

My practicum this semester is with Lindy Brophy at UWA news.  This is the
main staff newsletter on campus aimed at keeping UWA staff informed about
the ongoing accomplishments of their colleagues and students.  The main
objective of my practicum is to develop the right skills to write about
scientific discoveries in an engaging and interesting way.

__________________

THE IMPORTANT DETAILS

WHO: Kathryn Abbot and Hema Rajandran talks based on their Practicum
Experiences for COMM3318/ COMM3317

WHEN: Friday September 11, 2009 at 4pm

WHERE: The University of Western Australia, Crawley campus Centre for
Learning Technology; Ground floor Physics building, near Fairway entrance #1
Enter via ramp between Physics and Geology, go down stairs to basement.

__________________

COMING UP

The schedule of upcoming seminars and events can also be found on the UWA
Science Communication blog: http://uwasciencecomm.blogspot.com

(Please note that some events later in the semester are still tentative but
will be finalised closer to the event date)

Stephanie Watts
On behalf of the Science Communication Seminar Coordinators
Email: uwasciencecomm at gmail.com
http://uwasciencecomm.blogspot.com

----- End forwarded message -----