[ASC-list] Upcoming media training courses for scientists

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Sep 15 04:13:35 UTC 2009

Dear ASCers,

I am writing to let you know that we still have a few places available in our media training course next Tuesday 22 September at The Clare, Carlton, and ASC members get a 10% discount.

Future courses are on Tuesday 13 October 2009 and Wednesday 18 November. More information below.

This course is for scientists and anyone who needs to communicate complex and technical ideas via the media. Please feel free to forward this onto any colleagues who you believe may be interested.

More information on the courses is below and at http://www.scienceinpublic.com/blog/training.

Media and communication training for scientists

These one-day training workshops focus on science and scientists.

The workshop will help you create and present a compelling view of your research to the media, the public and your stakeholders.

It will help you improve the chances of being accurately reported, and to understand what to expect when the media covers a story. All participants are involved in practice interviews with working journalists.

The workshop has evolved over the years, and now includes a strong emphasis on how to shape your story to suit the media and your other audiences.

We concentrate on how to extract the essence of your story and how to work with the media to get the story across. This contrasts with the adversarial approach of much corporate media training.

Three working journalists will join us in the course of the day to talk about newspapers, radio and TV, and conduct practice interviews. Journalists we have used in the past have included Gerard Scholten from Channel Ten, Bridie Smith from The Age, and Donna Demaio from 3AW news.

Previous participants tell us that after the course they feel more prepared not just for media interviews, but also for other presentations to stakeholders, customers and the public.

This workshop is a modified version of the courses developed by our colleagues at Econnect Communication and is licensed from them.

Each course is limited to 12 participants.

Upcoming dates:

·         Tuesday 22 September 2009

·         Tuesday 13 October 2009

·         Wednesday 18 November 2009

Time: Start at 9.30am, finish by 5pm

Venue: Our next course, on 22 September, will be held at The Clare Café/Bar/Bistro, 421 Rathdowne St, Carlton.

Cost: $650 + GST per person (ASC members get a 10% discount)

Morning and afternoon tea and lunch will be provided.

Who: The courses are suitable for anyone attempting to communicate complex, evidence-based ideas via the media - scientists, engineers, technologists and others.

This practical workshop will help you:

·         know what to expect when the media does a story

·         practise your interview techniques with working journalists

·         get your message out as accurately as possible.

Specific topics include:

·         understanding what makes a good story on TV, radio or in print

·         interview practice with working journalists

·         taking control of the media agenda

·         making the big announcement

·         knowing what to do when a journalist knocks on your door

·         handling the more difficult questions

·         writing a good media release.

To book yourself, or members of your organisation, into one of these courses, please email niall at scienceinpublic.com.au. We will then send you some more specific details.

For more information please call me on (03) 9398 1416 or email me at niall at scienceinpublic.com.au <mailto:niall at scienceinpublic.com.au> . There is also a flyer about the course online at www.scienceinpublic.com/mediatraining.htm

Kind regards,

Niall

Niall Byrne

Science Communication Consultant

Science in Public

26 Railway Street South, Altona, VIC, 3018

Ph +61 3 9398 1416, mobile +61 417 131 977, niall at scienceinpublic.com.au <mailto:niall at scienceinpublic.com.au>  www.scienceinpublic.com