[ASC-list] Free Astronomy Public Lecture Series (VIC) The Cosmic Dark Ages

Suneel Jethani s.jethani at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Apr 8 04:30:34 UTC 2010

Free Astronomy Public Lecture Series (VIC) The Cosmic Dark Ages

The Cosmic Dark Ages
Presenter: Dr Emma Ryan-Weber, Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
Swinburne University of Technology

The details surrounding the end of the dark ages are among the final
unknowns in modern astronomy. We have yet to discover when the starlight
from the first galaxies lit up the Universe, ionizing the surround neutral
hydrogen gas. As part of my research we have discovered some of the oldest
and most distant carbon in the Universe, but there's not enough to support
the standard theories of how the Universe lit up. This will be a talk
about how the elements came into existence, and how we can use them to
count the number of stars in the
early Universe. It's also a tale about astronomical research, and an
example of how scientific results sometimes present more questions than
answers. I will discuss possible solutions this current puzzle including
ongoing observations using some of the world's largest telescopes.

Venue: Swinburne University, Hawthorn Campus, EN building
Room: EN313