[ASC-list] Econnect Communication seeking an experienced and skilled science communicator

Jenni Metcalfe jenni at econnect.com.au
Tue Aug 10 14:18:53 UTC 2010

THE ENVIRONMENT

We [Econnect Communication Pty Ltd] are a small team of science writers
and communicators working nationally and internationally on science
communication projects that seek to make a difference to the knowledge,
skills and confidence of scientists, communities and farmers in
communicating science important to people's lives. We work on diverse
projects often under tight deadlines and limited budgets. Sometimes
things are chaotic and stressful, but at the end of the day or week we
like working with each other, enjoy a laugh and are stimulated by
creative ideas and seemingly impossible dreams.   We seek at all times
to deliver quality services and products to our clients to help them
meet their goals.

THE RIGHT PERSON FOR THIS JOB

We are looking for someone who loves coming to work not knowing what the
day will bring, but confident that they can meet the variety of
challenges that come their way. This person will feel comfortable
working in a commercial consultancy environment, achieving quality
outcomes that fit client budgets and demands. They will have very high
level written and verbal communication skills. They will have extensive
experience in writing web content, media releases, feature articles,
e-newsletters, interpretive information, fact sheets and video scripts.
They will be confident in giving presentations, negotiating with clients
and suppliers, and liaising with a diversity of groups and individuals.
They will know how to plan and manage a project according to its
objectives and the resources available. Our new team member will share
our passion in communicating about science, especially environmental
science.

THE WRONG PERSON FOR THE THIS JOB

Do not apply if you:

*        like routine and stability

*        thrive on organisational politics

*        lack a sense of humour

*        don't like to travel

*        hate to talk to people on the phone

*        want to be left alone to do your own thing

*        don't like to juggle more than one thing at a time

ESSENTIAL SELECTION CRITERIA

*        Excellent writing skills in a variety of formats

*        High level verbal skills in giving presentations, liaison,
negotiation and interviewing

*        Passion communicating about science, especially the
environmental sciences

*        Ability to work comfortably within a small team as well as
independently on a mix of projects

*        Desire to continually improve through feedback and constructive
criticism

*        Ability to plan and manage projects to meet agreed outcomes,
deadlines and budgets

*        Experience at designing and implementing communication
strategies

DESIRABLE

*        Editing skills

*        Experience in training or education

*        Understanding of scientific culture and processes through past
experience at working with researchers

LOCATION:  At our West End offices in Brisbane. This is not negotiable.

TERMS: Contract until December 31 2011 with the possibility of extension
beyond this depending on performance and work demand; three-month
probationary period; must be able to start as soon as possible, and
definitely by early October

CONDITIONS:

*        Salary of $75K plus super plus performance-based quarterly
bonuses

*        One rostered day off per month; flexi-time

*        38 hours per week; flexible times

*        4 weeks annual leave; 10 days sick pay

*        Back veranda for lunches, teas and parties

APPLICATIONS:

*        To me via email ONLY  (jenni at econnect.com.au)

*        Close 6pm, Friday 27 August

*        Two pages maximum addressing the 10 dot points under selection
criteria, and providing your contact details, the names and contact
details of two recent work referees, and your availability to start work
with us; you can also include a 2-page CV

*        Short-listed applicants will be advised on Friday 3 September
of an exercise, which they will be expected to complete by 6pm Tuesday 7
September. Short, short listed applicants will be interviewed on
Monday/Tuesday September 13/14 in Brisbane.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:

Check out www.econnect.com.au. This should provide any information you
require about our company. If you have more specific queries, please
email me (don't phone).

Jenni Metcalfe

Director Econnect Communication

PO Box 734