[ASC-list] Nano measure for measure: NSWk event Brisbane Wed 18 Aug

Sophie Baker sophie.l.j.baker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 07:08:47 UTC 2010

*Nano measure for measure - sizing up Nanotechnology*

Seminar by Nanotechnologist Jan Herrmann

Wed 18th August
6pm for 6.30 start

Nano particles can physically penetrate our brains, our bodies and our
phones. They are revolutionizing many aspects of modern life - from
sunscreen to computers. They can even be used to cure us of alcoholism! But
do we fully understand the risks associated with such tiny technology. Jan
and the NMI Nanometrology team are currently designing and building an ultra
precision atomic force microscope which will be able to make images
of objects at the nanoscale and measure their dimensions accurately. Jan
Herrmann talks about how we can use these images to better understand
nanotechnologies and gauge the risks.

Presented by the Australian Science Communicators and National Science Week

Luck door prize to be won and may be followed by nibbles.

*Where:* Westpac Auditorium, Level E, the Bancroft Centre
*Queensland Institute of Medical Research*

300 Herston Road, Herston, next to the Royal Children's Hospital.
**
*Map:* http://www.qimr.edu.au/page/Map_of_Location/

*Parking:*
The nearest parking complex is the Wilson Parking station opposite the Clive
Berghofer Cancer Research Centre on Herston Road.
**
*Public transport:*
*Bus:* The nearest bus stop is the Royal Children's Hospital bus stop on the
Northern Busway. The Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital bus stop on the
Northern Busway is a 10 minute walk from our entrance.
Train: Bowen Hills or Brunswick Street (Fortitude Valley) train stations are
a 20 minute walk from the Institute.

*Map:* http://www.qimr.edu.au/page/Map_of_Location/

Any questions please contact Sophie Baker.
*Sophie.L.J.Baker at gmail.com*